Re: Group Policy

AD stands for Active Directory, a Windows server infrastructure where a
collection of PCs and servers are controlled from a single point.

As a matter of fact Lanwench, I should have posted this inquiry in Windows
Server group, as I was actually talking about AD environment.
With AD in effect, how to do that? I tried it on a member server's GP but
it did not allow for user groups exclusions. Do I have to do it on the DC
domain policy management console?

Thanks
Yahya

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

Twayne <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
yba02 <yba02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
Running Windows XP SP2.
Is there a way where I can apply group policy
on some users and
exclude other users, such as administrators?
Example, I need to
restrict access to all hard disks on the
machine on members of the
"users" group, while members of
"administrators" group can still
access those HD's.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Yahya

Not without AD. In standalone XP & 2k, local
policies are per
machine, not per user. Check out Windows Steady
State or Doug Knox's
XP Security Console (google it) for options.

But it could be done by assigning the users to
user groups, could it not? Some admin, some power
users, etc.? Admins will have access to all, and
others limited as the programmer prefers, right?

What do you mean by "AD"?

Twayne

AD = Active Directory.

Without AD in use, you can't use policies unless you want them to affect all
users per machine - group membership has nothing to do with it. The word
"group" in "group policy" frequently confuses people :-)

  • Re: Urgent Advise - [WildPacket]
    ... Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks ... Windows Server 2003 Tools ... ensure that you have designed a DNS and Active ...
  • Re: 2003 Migration
    ... Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks ... Windows Server 2003 Tools ... ensure that you have designed a DNS and Active ...
  • Re: i got 6 server in company which contains NT4 , windows 2000 , windowser 2003
    ... Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks ... Windows Server 2003 Tools ... ensure that you have designed a DNS and Active ...
  • Re: NT to W2K3 Migration
    ... How to Upgrade from Windows NT Server 4.0 ... Best Practice Active Directory Design for Managing Windows Networks ...
  • Re: Connection to a SAMBA Active Directory
    ... I built a new Windows 2003 Server in a brand new domain. ... I am able to define a 2 way Realm trust using the Active Directory ... There is a bit of confusing on the SAMBA side. ...