Re: Trojan Flush M

Belprice wrote:

HI there,

I am running Norton Anti - Virus and it has reported that i have a virus
called Trojan Flush M and no matter what I try I can not remove this
virus. I tried to follow the instructions for manual removal of this
virus, however it
instructed me to restart windows in safe mode and then a full scan. When
I tried to do this I was asked for a administration password , but I
bought this computer second hand and have no idea what this pasword is!

Also my computer is now acting very strange , programs are disappearing
when I re start the computer and when I try to view the c drive I get an
error message which states " WINDOWS CANNOT FIND RESYDED /BOOT.COM OR
RESYCLED/BOOT.COM

I am desperate not to lose the many important family files on this
computer, such as photos and videos, can someone please help me with this
very annoying problem.

You can retrieve the data without booting into Windows by either pulling the
hard drive and attaching it to a working computer using a USB external hard
drive or slaving it internally. However, in cases of virus infection I
don't like to do this because it puts the host Windows machine at risk. A
better solution is to use either a Linux Live CD such as Knoppix or a
Bart's PE.

http://www.knoppix.net
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ - Bart's PE Builder

Once the data is retrieved, I suggest you do a clean install of Windows.
With used computers, this is the best thing to do. You already see that
there is an issue with the Administrator password and who knows what other
crud is on that box from the previous owner.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Reinstalling_Windows - What
you will need on-hand

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair
shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). If
possible, have all your data backed up before you take the machine into a
shop.

When this is over, create and implement a backup strategy because Stuff
Always Happens. Purchasing an external hard drive and Acronis True Image is
a good solution.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Bobax.C
    ... Other files containing the virus have been ... W32.Bobax.C is a worm that exploits both the LSASS ... While this threat may execute on Windows 95/98/Me/Server ... Virus Definitions * ...
  • Re: ***NEED HELP PLEASE***
    ... clean install of Windows XP. ... he downloaded had a virus in it and now i cant ctrl+alt+del and pull up my ... I had my friend do a file transfer from her computer to ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Trojan Flush M
    ... I am running Norton Anti - Virus and it has reported that i have a virus ... instructed me to restart windows in safe mode and then a full scan. ... I suggest you do a clean install of Windows. ... shop. ...
  • Re: Pixelsrvr.exe wont load on bootup
    ... Sounds like you got yourself a virus,. ... Adds the following line to the [windows] section of the Win.ini file: ... antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus ... Disabling System Restore ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
  • Re: RE-INSTALLING XP
    ... > IF I REINSTALL XP ON MY COMPUTER HELP IF I HAVE A VIRUS THAT I CANT ... Don't have an AntiVirus software? ... There are more applications you may need to run to completely clean your ... It will probably save you time and effort in re-installing Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)