"David H. Lipman" wrote:

From: "Volfandt" <Volfandt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| XP Pro w/rev 6 explorer. I recently discovered that I couldn't access any web
| sites that contain antivirus/spyware updates or fixes. This includes AVG,
| SpyBot, Adaware, Malware and/or even trying to manually run Windows update.
| Instead of getting the download page (where one chooses to eoither save or
| run the download, I get a webpage stateing page not found"). Microsofts
| Malicious Software tool didn;t find any problems but AVG ran and found
| problems and fixed it but when I run the Microsoft download scanner it finds
| problems but can't fix them. Other than not being able to update XP, AVG and
| my other virus/spyware app's the system seems to work fine. Also, I cannot
| run Spybot nor Malwares app. I deleted Spybot and reinstalled it and it will
| not run.
| I'm guessing the virus that got me has gotten into my registry.
| Any thoughts and/or fixes?
| Thanks

The chances of this being a virus is low.
The chances of this being non-viral malware is extremely high.

Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe

Then post the contents of the HJT log in your post in one of the below expert forums...

{ Please - Do NOT post the HJT Log here ! }

Forums where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) Logs.

NOTE: Registration is REQUIRED in any of the below before posting a log

Suggested primary:

Suggested secondary:
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Suggested tertiary:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170
http://forum.networktechs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=17
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18
http://forums.techguy.org/f54-s.html
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showforum=18
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://makephpbb.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=2
http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
http://forums.security-central.us/forumdisplay.php?f=13

--
Dave

  • Re: mysearchnow.com hijacking my IE
    ... CoolWebSearch (if not, then see AdAware, SpyBot, and HijackThis, below). ... Restore and then reboot your system in order to clear the malware garbage ... Be sure that you also download and install hotfix Q816093, ...
  • Re: Search help
    ... Sounds like this might be a variant of some malware called CoolWebSearch (if ... not, then see AdAware, SpyBot, and HijackThis, below). ... Download, UPDATE before running, and run: ... Another excellent program for this purpose is SpyBot Search and Destroy ...
  • Re: Intellifind bug in IE?
    ... Sounds like this might be a variant of some malware called CoolWebSearch (if ... then you can disable and then re-enable System Restore. ... Be sure that you also download and install hotfix Q816093, ... Another excellent program for this purpose is SpyBot Search and Destroy ...
  • Re: adware/spyware
    ... > system restore, deleted items in the registry and run Spysweeper, Adware 6 ... the makers of Spybot will soon fix this bug. ... The process of removing certain malware may kill your internet ... Download, UPDATE before running, and run: ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: is there a way to be sure your computer doesnt have a virus?
    ... virus protection program that runs on this machine, ... It's very important for me to remove viruses, ... While all viruses are malware, ... To help you we need help as more information is needed such as the URL of the download ...