Re: Something strange about this but I don't know how to fix it!!!!

johnathensangel21 wrote:

I turned on my computer logged into the administrator account, turned the
guest account on and then I logged out and the only thing on the sign in
screen was the guest account. Can I fix this and if so how?

Your computer is behaving as expected. When you enable or create another
user account with administrative privileges in XP Pro (and I'm assuming
that's what you have from your description of the issue), the original
built-in Administrator is hidden from the Welcome Screen.

1. To enter the built-in Administrator account in XP Pro, at the Welcome
Screen press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice. This will get you the classic logon box
where you can enter "Administrator" (without the quotes of course) for the
user and whatever password you assigned. If you had no password, leave that
field blank.

2. Once you are logged in, go to Control Panel>User Accounts and disable the
Guest account. The Guest account is a special system account, not one meant
for when you are feeling hospitable. It is disabled by default in Windows
XP, Vista, Linux, Unix, and OS X for a reason.

From TechNet:

"The Guest account is intended for users who require temporary access to the
system. However, if this account is enabled, a security risk may exist
because an unauthorized user could gain anonymous access to the system
through this account."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb418978(TechNet.10).aspx

So if you enabled Guest, disable it now and create a Standard/Limited
(Vista, XP Pro/XP Home) for your visitors. Call the new user account
something like "Visitor".

3. If you have been using the built-in Administrator account for your own
work, then create an extra user account with administrative privileges.
Call it "CompAdmin" or the like. You may never log into this extra account
but if your main Administrator account which you are using becomes
corrupted, you will be very glad to have the extra one.

If you are using the built-in Administrator account for your daily work and
want it to appear on the Welcome Screen, then:

Enable Administrator account on Welcome Screen -
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_admin_ok.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Customizing User Profiles in Control Panel
    ... Yet I don't have an account for it set up in my CONTROL ... The Administrator account will not appear in the list of users ... folder, except for the one I'm using, i.e. folder "b)"? ... more than one user account, each would be able to access ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Cannot Get Any Peer to Peer Non-Domain Networking to Work
    ... I create a common local user account foo on both computers A and B, ... The first command prompts for a user account and I supply foo, ... If the guest account is enabled ...
  • Re: Cannot access target throught network
    ... I hope you have included guest user account in your Configuration. ... The easiest way for you, I think, to check the guest account settings would be using "User Accounts" control panel applet (or browse ... Check if the guest account not disabled there. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Welcome Screen Gone
    ... Once you've setup automatic logon for your user account, ... with the Administrator account. ...
  • Re: Personal Computer
    ... I'm going to guess that you have XP Pro and you were using the built-in Administrator account for your daily work. ... When you create a second user account with administrative privileges, Windows will hide the built-in Administrator account since it is supposed to be used for emergencies and not daily work anyway. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)