Re: "Adware Alert" uninstall problems

JenBMN wrote:

I unfortunately installed Adware Alert as a spyware scanning program back
in February. I have since learned that it appears to be a corrupt
anti-spyware
program. I tried uninstalling it, but when I do, it seems to corrupt my
operating system's startup. After uninstalling Adware Alert, I am
prompted to restart, but then my system gets caught in a loop, where it
displays the first few startup screens repeatedly and will not re-boot.

I have been able to get back in by hitting F8 during the startup and
manually selecting to start using the last known good configuration. I
tried
starting in Safe Mode, but this did not work. Once I'm back in, I can do
a system restore to get it functioning again, but only if I restore it to
when Adware Alert was still installed.

I feel like I've been hijacked! How do I get this garbage off my computer
and still get it to operate correctly?

You *have* been hijacked! Look for removal steps here:

Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -

or here:
Malwarebytes malware removal guides - http://tinyurl.com/5xrpft ]

If all else fails, get guided help at one of the specialty forums listed
below. Or else you can take your machine to a local computer professional.
I don't recommend using BigComputerStore/GeekSquad types of places.

PLEASE DO NOT POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
http://aumha.net/ - Click on the HijackThis forum. Read the announcement and
the stickies *first*.
http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • Re: Coolwebsearch
    ... >You are currently using hijackthis from a temp ... >uninstalling Messenger Plus.You have Messenger Plus ... >is known to install malware. ... >Add/Remove programs and uninstalling Messenger Plus. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • CoolWebSearch
    ... >You are currently using hijackthis from a temp ... >uninstalling Messenger Plus.You have Messenger Plus ... >is known to install malware. ... >Add/Remove programs and uninstalling Messenger Plus. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: IPFIREWALL or PF
    ... such as when the config file is ... ipf (ipfw?) achieves this by a default block policy, so if the startup goes wrong /anywhere/, the system is locked down. ... Using a 2-stage pf startup is really IMO just papering over the cracks: if anything has happened to corrupt the relevant files then the startup will fail wide open. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: "Microsoft" folder runs at startup
    ... But, no, it still loads at Startup, and this time there is a second ... Windows Live group entailed basically uninstalling folders, ... Other solutions suggested tweaking things in Startup ... Any other idea how to stop the "Microsoft" program folder window from ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Internet Options fails in IE after Zone Alarm 35132 beta and Kerio (WinXP SP1)
    ... a beta, taking the shortcut out of startup, installing Kerio, uninstalling ... putting the ZA shortcut back in Startup and finally uninstalling the ...