Re: Browse Button greyed out

Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the latest signatures and run a full scan.

If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand and on schedule.

For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online scanners, such as:
Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer expert.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to show the computer to a professional.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

Confused wrote:
Any solutions? I ran Microsoft's antivirus detection software and it didn't flag any. I suspect the function was disabled but, don't know what to do to fix it.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

I see.../that/ browse button.

That is often the sign of a malware infection, possible from the wallpaper you downloaded. We need to be extraordinarily careful about what we download from the internet. Desktop wallpaper and screen savers are two common vectors for infection.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

Confused wrote:
Possibly I didn't pose the question properly. When I right click on my desktop and highlight properties, the "Display Properties" window opens. The first tab is "Desktop" which displays "Backgound" wallpaper. In this window, there is a browse button that allows one to access other paths on the computer to retrieve other pictures to use as wallpaper. When you choose a different pcture on the computer it is displayed in the mini computer screen on this tab. Once you hit Apply, it is applied to the desktop. It is this "Browse" button that is greyed out disabling this feature. I think it may have been disabled when I downloaded wallpaper from the internet but, I'm not sure. It has been like this for some time.
Thanks for your speedy reply.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

Looks like you have a question for the support behind the program that put a browse button on your desktop. No button with that name on a default install of Windows XP.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

Confused wrote:
I can't figure out how to re-active the browse button for my desktop in desktop properties. It is greyed out. Any ideas?

  • Re: Bad Image error messages
    ... "Leonard Grey" wrote: ... Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, ... If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, ... Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. ...
  • Re: Browse Button greyed out
    ... "Leonard Grey" wrote: ... what we download from the internet. ... Desktop wallpaper and screen savers ... "Browse" button that is greyed out disabling this feature. ...
  • Re: disc drive
    ... Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the latest signatures and run a full scan. ... If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like driving a car without seats belts or air bags. ... "Leonard Grey" wrote: ...
  • Re: received c:windowssystem32 error
    ... The lady has no internet connection. ... Leonard Grey wrote: ... Comprehensive anti-malware software scans for all types of malicious ... Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. ...
  • Re: need help badly with windows error
    ... "Leonard Grey" wrote: ... novice. ... Comprehensive anti-malware software scans for all types of malicious ... The message means, very simply, that there is not enough memory for ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)