Re: cannot login because the domain not available

Thank you for having a look Shenan

The OPTIONS button only offers a SHUTDOWN selection, no Domains to choose
from.

The computer was always standalone and not connected to any network. It is a
Toshiba, but I think it was upgraded to XP Pro a few years ago (like 3-4).
The "administrator" login still performs the same error.

Thanks
--
Best wishes, G

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

Gosling wrote:
I had an error on laptop and asked to chkdsk c: and after that the
system rebooted and now I can't log in. When I try ctl-alt-del I
dont get a "Domain" to choose from but when I use login and
password I get "cannot login because the domain not available" .

I don't have a boot CD, running windows xp pro.

Anything I can try.....

Was this a business laptop? (Was it actually a member of a domain?)

When you press CTRL+ALT+DEL to logon - you are getting the classic Windows
NT/2000 logon prompt asking you for the username/password?

Is there an "Options >>" button at the bottom right corner of the logon
prompt window? (If so - click it.)

You can also tray logging in as the built-in administrator (username:
administrator) account. If it was setup by a third-tier vendor (like Dell,
HP, IBM, etc) - usually the built-in account is untouched and has no
password (blank.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • Re: can not access account after changing domain to workgroup
    ... I cannot get it back on the network because ... Is the next step to change the password for administrator? ... >> I was trying to set up a home network between a Windows ... >> to login, it says that the password and domain does not ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Cant log in
    ... Since you now have a parallel install of Windows that can read NTFS, ... Administrator with no password. ... If you have no options to change the domain on the login screen, ... and the workstation is not joined to a domain. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: >> Converting a work computer to a home computer?
    ... When I login to windows, ... then it finallys logs me into windows. ... Never log in as Administrator unless you need to change ... Odds are it's their software licenses you're using; ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • try this
    ... When we install Windows, it automatically creates an account "Administrator" and sets its password to blank. ... In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen. ...
  • Re: cannot login because the domain not available
    ... password I get "cannot login because the domain not available". ... When you press CTRL+ALT+DEL to logon - you are getting the classic Windows ... You can also tray logging in as the built-in administrator (username: ... HP, IBM, etc) - usually the built-in account is untouched and has no ...