Re: what are my options or best practice for installing Windows Updates?

Kelvin wrote:

I have about 35 computers on my domaim.
They are all XP Pro and the file servers are Windows Server 2003.

Currently each computer downloads its own updates and the users are
prompted to install them.
This makes for an inconsistant environment since not everyone bothers to
install updates, and others may not have rights...

How can I manage updates for computers?
How would I differenciat between laptop machines that don't connect very
oftern, from desktop machines that are always on the network with access
to the internet and local network?

Can I not tell the computers on the network to install an approved list of
updates without any user interaction?

WSUS:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx?ppud=4

As for the laptops, post your question in a server newsgroup where people
who deal with this sort of problem can tell you how they manage it.

microsoft.public.windows.server.general
microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs (If you're using Small Business Server)

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

  • RE: New Update for #70-299
    ... > Segment A contains a single server named TestKing1. ... > Segment B contains all other computers, ... > TestKing?s written security policy states that Segment B ... > Updates on all computers in Segment B to use ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: Cannot browse or open shared printers or server on sbs 2003 from client pc
    ... i think the network problem has taken a different turn. ... meanwhile if i access the mapped drives to the server which we setup in the ... my thought now is what is the update mechanism for the printers from the ... I understand the issue to be: client computers can ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: List of servers in this workgroup is currently not available.
    ... Computer description appears before the computer name in the My Network ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... <recently installed a D-Link print server with a reserved IP. ... <As soon as I uninstalled the print server and rebooted the computers, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Help with 070-217
    ... The network contains 25,000 computers. ... single Windows 2000 domain named research.contoso.com. ... Server computers that are configured as domain controllers. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)
  • Re: Help with 070-217