Re: Cannot open or download the files in company intranet from win

I generally format the HD and start with a clean install when faced with
this, one of the worst of all examples of foistware. On occasions when I
have uninstalled it instead, it sometimes comes back to haunt me a while
later in the form of unexpected network problems. If it's NAV alone
uninstalling is reasonable, if it's the NIS suite then I would definitely
flatten and rebuild.

Unfortunately, foistware like this costs money for the IT installler and
client, in terms of wasted time. Especially if a lot of other software is
installed before the decision to flatten is taken. But, that's the way
things are.

There is a removal-tool on Symantec's site which I've known to do a better
job than the standard uninstaller, worth a try if flattening would cause too
much grief.

"Michael" wrote:

Many thanks for your help.

I am only IT support at my office. Normally, I install Mcafee antivirus for
all the computers and turn off the windows firewall. That Anti-Virus is
enterprise version which is installed to all computers.
But when we received the new PCs, Symantec security trial version were
already installed.

  • Re: Application Error - The Memory Could Not Read
    ... Tom, What's your Address? ... AVG for a couple weeks and if I still like it I'll buy the Program. ... problem of the program uninstalling the old and installing the new. ... to an old Install Shield Engine but their solution is only for WXP SP2 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Very old Copmuter / Removing Programs
    ... minimal memory requirements. ... One can install 7-ZIP and it will not influence the ... Windows and the 'always-running applications' without dipping into ... uninstalling applications to free up disk space for use in virtual ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Setup.exe stopped working
    ... I probably can't help with uninstalling those programs, ... Its philosophy is that "unused memory is wasted memory". ... My advice is to stop worrying about how much RAM is being used; just let Vista manage it. ... I thought you were trying to install one. ...
  • Re: cydoor/altnet & others
    ... > meant that in their opinion, flattening is always the best option. ... > to the Internet to download patches should be good enough. ... where should he get a firewall? ... > careful in what you install and know the potential risks. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)