Re: alternative for nybackup

shannon.whitty wrote:
I am looking for a product to replace ntbackup for my local
pc/laptop backup regime.

ntbackup is ok but there are a few issues that I want to address.

What I need from a product is:

a) ability to manualy select directories to backup
b) backup of files into a single encrypted archive file (don't want
anyone else to browse or view files or contents without password)
c) need to be able to control it from command line (i.e. I want to
script it to backup on system login - currently achieving this
through a batch file)
d) need to be able to access the archive file and read the contents
(with a password) simply and easily - ntbackup is a nightmare to try
and restore from...

any advice?

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • Re: Backup Software?
    ... <<Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows allows you to ... create the exact server disk image for complete backup providing the ... If a "true image" contains only "necessary" data, ... If someone states that XP's and later NTBackup is legacy, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: NTBackup requires 18-23 hours to complete.
    ... I'm not sure if you use SBSbackup, or only the native NTbackup to configure your backups. ... Considering you want something different than SBSBackup offers, I'd suggest you run the backup configuration wizard and elect *not* to use SBS backup, and do your configuration via NTbackup, or a third party backup application. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Ntbackup seems not to start properly 30 to 50% of the time.
    ... Each night the script ran as a scheduled task, but the ntbackup routine itself did not. ... there is no entry in the event log. ... I built a small test server and using AT instead of Windows Scheduler, I had the script successfully run 6 backups per day for the last three days. ... This evening, again a 33 minute gap, no entry in the backup log and no "ntbackup" entry in the event log. ...
  • Re: Low Disk Space Error - Related to NTBackup?
    ... Your batch file currently contains the line ... This is supposed to be the full ntbackup command. ... A valid backup operation was not specified on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • RE: NTBackup / VSS Problem, not backing up everything
    ... I've found that ntbackup isn't backing up everything I want it to. ... My suspicion is that it's open files that are being missed (although I ... If I try to do a backup of just one of these files, ...