Re: Setup, repair, and other tales...

Hello Nepatsfan

This the what is in the boot.ini file:

[Boot Loader]
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Setup"

I am not sure if this is related, but at the very beginning of start up
(when I press the on/off switch) and before I get the option to select Setup
or my Home edition, Windows tells me that hal.dll is missing from the
<%system_root%>/windows folder.

What I have is my C drive. If I double click on it I can see my Windows
folder. Inside this Windows folder is a folder called system32 and here I
have a file called hal.dll:

I'm not sure if these two issues are related, but one thing at a time.

Many thanks again for all your help.

"SteveH" wrote:

Hello Nepatsfan

Thanks for your message.

I cancelled the repair installation from the Setup CD because I could not
see a 'Repair' option. I soon as I realised it was going ahead with a
full-blown setup I pressed the [Esc] to stop it, but it seems to have left a
few files.

I'm not at my home PC at the moment, but will post the contents of the
boot.ini file probably tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

"SteveH" <SteveH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

If I go to msinfo32.exe I should be able to see my System Information, but
cannot. I was advised to you Recovery Console to repair this; that was a near
disaster but no harm done.

Then I was advised to use the Repair option on the Windows installation CD
not, however, by using the Repair option itself but by using the Setup
option. The idea was that you choose Setup but only allow it to go so far. If
there is a Reapir option in Setup that is what you want. If not, come out

I had to choose this final option and, again, thankfully no harm done; yet
when I start Windows now I am asked if I want to go to my Home edition of XP
or if I want to choose Setup.

How can I remove these please, so that it just boots into my normal Home

Many thanks.

Go to Control Panel and double click on the System icon.
Click on the Advanced tab.
On the Advanced page, click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
In Startup and Recovery, click on the Edit button.
This should open your boot.ini file in Notepad.
Copy the contents of that file and post it into a response to this message.

Also, could you expand on the reason you cancelled the repair installation.