Re: Setup, repair, and other tales...

Hello Nepatsfan

This the what is in the boot.ini file:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Setup"

I am not sure if this is related, but at the very beginning of start up
(when I press the on/off switch) and before I get the option to select Setup
or my Home edition, Windows tells me that hal.dll is missing from the
<%system_root%>/windows folder.

What I have is my C drive. If I double click on it I can see my Windows
folder. Inside this Windows folder is a folder called system32 and here I
have a file called hal.dll:

http://www11.brinkster.com/stevehigham/hal.html

I'm not sure if these two issues are related, but one thing at a time.

Many thanks again for all your help.

Steve

"SteveH" wrote:

Hello Nepatsfan

Thanks for your message.

I cancelled the repair installation from the Setup CD because I could not
see a 'Repair' option. I soon as I realised it was going ahead with a
full-blown setup I pressed the [Esc] to stop it, but it seems to have left a
few files.

I'm not at my home PC at the moment, but will post the contents of the
boot.ini file probably tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

"SteveH" <SteveH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello

If I go to msinfo32.exe I should be able to see my System Information, but
cannot. I was advised to you Recovery Console to repair this; that was a near
disaster but no harm done.

Then I was advised to use the Repair option on the Windows installation CD
not, however, by using the Repair option itself but by using the Setup
option. The idea was that you choose Setup but only allow it to go so far. If
there is a Reapir option in Setup that is what you want. If not, come out
immediately!

I had to choose this final option and, again, thankfully no harm done; yet
when I start Windows now I am asked if I want to go to my Home edition of XP
or if I want to choose Setup.

How can I remove these please, so that it just boots into my normal Home
edition?

Many thanks.

Steve

Go to Control Panel and double click on the System icon.
Click on the Advanced tab.
On the Advanced page, click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
section.
In Startup and Recovery, click on the Edit button.
This should open your boot.ini file in Notepad.
Copy the contents of that file and post it into a response to this message.

Also, could you expand on the reason you cancelled the repair installation.

Nepatsfan

  • RE: Repair portion of installation from CD
    ... I used Recovery console to repair sectors of HD ... The repair completed successfully and the system rebooted into Windows XP ... installed but my CD doesn't have either and setup is looking for "asms" file ... Complaints in newsgroups, etc., about this "missing asms file" issue go back ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Repair portion of installation from CD
    ... I used Recovery console to repair sectors of HD ... The repair completed successfully and the system rebooted into Windows XP ... installed but my CD doesn't have either and setup is looking for "asms" file ... Complaints in newsgroups, etc., about this "missing asms file" issue go back ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Replace HD cant restore XP
    ... Because the repair function does find the the windows ... Boot up Windows XP - off the old HDD and format the ... >This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Corrupted registry, no floppy drive for regchk
    ... the machine with the Software copy in repair but, as you mention, this leaves ... 2K install disk reported that it could not find Windows. ... To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000 ... Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Cannot boot because pciide.sys is corrupted.
    ... The Setup went fine, even getting as far as entering ... another system and the hardware drivers for the IDE channel do not match. ...