Re: Can't Uninstall Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit

That suggestion looks like it just might do the trick. I will give it a try. Thanks!

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OWVYWIq5IHA.2544@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
See if this MSKB applies, Ken:

You receive an error message when you try to remove or reinstall the Shared Computer Toolkit on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916140

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Ken Triebold wrote:

I help keep the computers running at our small town library. Two of the computers have Windows XP Home and Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit on them to keep them from getting messed up by all the different users. Anyway the other day I wanted to update those computers with SP3 and found that SP3 will not install on a computer that is running the Shared Computer Toolkit. OK, so I went to uninstall the Shared Computer Toolkit but was unsuccessful uninstalling it and got this message:

"There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

If I could have uninstalled the Shared Computer Toolkit, I planned to install Windows Steady State in its place after the SP3 update, but as you can see I did not get that far. Does anyone know how I can overcome the error that I got when trying to uninstall the Shared Computer Toolkit?

  • Re: Cant Uninstall Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    ... computers have Windows XP Home and Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit on them to keep them from getting messed up by all the different users. ... Anyway the other day I wanted to update those computers with SP3 and found that SP3 will not install on a computer that is running the Shared Computer Toolkit. ... Does anyone know how I can overcome the error that I got when trying to uninstall the Shared Computer Toolkit? ...
  • Cant Uninstall Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    ... Two of the computers have Windows XP Home and Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit on them to keep them from getting messed up by all the different users. ... Anyway the other day I wanted to update those computers with SP3 and found that SP3 will not install on a computer that is running the Shared Computer Toolkit. ... Does anyone know how I can overcome the error that I got when trying to uninstall the Shared Computer Toolkit? ...
  • Re: XP Home User Restrictions
    ... password protected admin account.I would like some utility to install ... and make the limited accounts so the internet, ... You can post questions about the Shared Computer Toolkit in its newsgroup: ...
  • Re: Software Restriction in XP Home
    ... Group Policy in Professional, but after managing to install it to Home ... you can use MVP Doug Knox's Security Console or the MS Shared Computer Toolkit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Shared Computer Toolkit
    ... There is a dedicated newsgroup for Shared Computer Toolkit at ... Steve ... >I downloaded the toolkit and tried to install it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)