Re: Can't Uninstall Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit

That suggestion looks like it just might do the trick. I will give it a try. Thanks!

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OWVYWIq5IHA.2544@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
See if this MSKB applies, Ken:

You receive an error message when you try to remove or reinstall the Shared Computer Toolkit on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916140

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

Ken Triebold wrote:

I help keep the computers running at our small town library. Two of the computers have Windows XP Home and Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit on them to keep them from getting messed up by all the different users. Anyway the other day I wanted to update those computers with SP3 and found that SP3 will not install on a computer that is running the Shared Computer Toolkit. OK, so I went to uninstall the Shared Computer Toolkit but was unsuccessful uninstalling it and got this message:

"There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

If I could have uninstalled the Shared Computer Toolkit, I planned to install Windows Steady State in its place after the SP3 update, but as you can see I did not get that far. Does anyone know how I can overcome the error that I got when trying to uninstall the Shared Computer Toolkit?

.