Re: How can I make a password for folders?

Ragab wrote:

I wanna make a password for some folders in WindowsXP Professional SP2. Is
there a free and easy way to do that?

XP and Vista do not use passwords to protect resources. NT-based operating
systems use permissions instead. Here is information to help you with that:

How to disable Simple Sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
Windows XP (Pro only)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

By default in XP Home, you can only make files and folders under My
Documents "private". Otherwise, to see the security tab in WinXP Home,
restart in Safe mode and log on with an account that has administrator
privileges. To get into Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the
computer is starting up. This will get you to the menu where you can choose
Safe Mode.

Note that the file system must be NTFS, not FAT32.

Passwording of folders is not supported unless you zip them. When you do
(right click a folder, then "send to > compressed folder") and then open the
zip file, you will find an option under file>"add a password". Otherwise,
use third-party software. Google "password protect folders".

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers

  • Re: Unable to install new software
    ... A description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP ... (it could be a hidden folder) logon in safe mode and go to ... How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows ...
  • Re: How to bypass administrator permissions on my own system
    ... folder permissions so that I may retrieve my old data? ... To start in Safe Mode, ... bypass the administrator file permissions on the removable ... cloned my older XP Home Edition onto the hard drive and have since ...
  • Re: Cant access folder in user account over network
    ... you can temporarily disable Simple File Sharing by starting ... >> A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP: ... >> and Security, and share the folder. ... click the Permissions button to ...
  • Re: Minimum NTFS Permissions - Theres such a thing???
    ... ?2001 Microsoft Corporation. ... HOW TO: Set Minimum NTFS Permissions Required for IIS 5.0 to Work WGID:198 ... " List Folder Contents" ...
  • Re: Unable to delete orphaned 1.5 GB System Restore folder
    ... The fact that the tech support is based in India has nothing to do with the ... If so you may want to leave this folder alone. ... down to all children folders because i can set those permissions to ... try deleting from the command line using system by using the AT ...