Can't add local printer-greyed out

I want to add a local printer, but it's greyed out. I click on Add a printer,
the Add a printer Wizard appears. I need to choose "Local Printer" but that
option is greyed out. Network printer is available.

This happens only when the user is logged in, with her account. When I log
in with an administrator account, then it allows me to add a local printer,
but that local printer only shows up when the admin account is logged in, it
does not show up for the user account.

I'm assuming it's a security setting. What permissions do I need to give
that user, to allow me/her to add a local printer under her account?

It's an IP printer on the network, not really a local printer, but I then
add a TCP/IP port and it works.

Thanks,
Bill

  • Re: Print via network
    ... Account under which ASP.NET runs does not have access to that network printer. ... I guess you will have to impersonate account that has all permissions. ... We we do the test on a local printer, ... when we try to print the same report on one of our network ...
  • printers in AD
    ... I have a network printer that has an IP and I usually just add the printer ... via the printer wizard. ... I set it up by doing "Local printer attached to ... TIA. ...
  • Re: Add printer wizard not responding
    ... Perhaps a Policy from the 2003 Server disabling the Add Printer Wizard? ... You likely have only one local printer, ... But not in the Printer Control Panel applet? ... > have one network printer connected and he mentioned having to make changes ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Printer permissions puzzle
    ... >> the server is of course deactivated. ... >> account, it doesn't affect anyone who logs on under another account. ... The local printer driver is used rather than the remote one. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Lpt printer
    ... | and the one network printer next to me as my default. ... | local printer to my computer and if i open up the properties of the ... And yes i have made sure i am doing a test print to the ... I have checked the printer ports and on the local printer the ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)