Re: No password option for screen saver

"Joe M." wrote in message news:DC79CBBF-E959-4991-BE54-8EE00E53253B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"VanguardLH" wrote:

"Joe M." wrote ...

Upon inactivity I would like to activate a password protected
screensaver.
However my screensaver settings in the display properties does not
have a
password option. I've heard that if your user account has a password
then the
screen saver will also, but this isn't the case. When my screen
saver runs
there's no password prompt. Can anyone help?

You mean an option to enter the password, or an option to *enable*
password protection when the screen saver activates?There is an "on
resume" option to enable password protection. There is no input field
to specify the password as the same one gets reused that you used to
login to your Windows account. Are you saying that somehow the dialog
window shown at
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_stop_windows_xp_screensaver_asking_for_my_password.html
no longer shows the "on resume" password protect option (even if
grayed out) shown in the red circle in the picture?

Are you using the screen savers included in Windows or from a 3rd
party product?

Do you use auto-logging to automatically log into your Windows account
when you boot the computer?

In answer to your questions:

- There is no option to enable password protection.
- It is not grayed out, it doesn't appear at all.
- I do not use automatic logging. We have 3 user accounts and you must log
on in the welcome screen.
- These are with the Windows XP screensavers

Are you logged in under an admin-level account when you check the screensaver settings?

Is(are) the host(s) in a domain? If so, group policy can dictate that users cannot modify screensaver settings. That includes preventing the users from changing the time to wait before activating the screensaver and disabling password protection. Group policies are recorded in the registry so it is also possible to enforce the same behavior using a local security policy. I don't know what is the registry setting. However, my recollection when using a group/local policy to disable the password protect option (usually to force it enabled) is that the option is greyed out to show that changing it is disabled, not that it disappears completely from that dialog.

If you pick no screensaver (i.e., "(None)"), do the Wait and "On Resume" option appear (but greyed out)? Do they appear (whether greyed out or not) if you pick a different screensaver?

  • Re: asp.net - after screensaver I get Welcome screen!
    ... Troubleshooting Windows XP ... "DonnaR" wrote in message ... > SO I went into the screensaver selector, and I never noticed this before, ... >> | the Welcome screen and have to click on my User Account. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: No password option for screen saver
    ... However my screensaver settings in the display ... used to login to your Windows account. ... computer - you have to click on the user account name on the Welcome Screen ...
  • Re: No password option for screen saver
    ... I just want it to go to the screensaver with a password. ... The MS article you suggested is in reference to activating the screen saver ... resume" option to enable password protection. ... have to click on the user account name on the Welcome Screen ...
  • Re: how do i password a screensaver?
    ... If the user account has a password (the account the screensaver comes on ... then 'on resume password protect' you will be prompted for the user ... Please do not send email directly to this alias. ...
  • Re: Wrong logon screen shown after sleeping.
    ... This is normal if you have only one user account displayed in the Welcome ... the case, the Screensaver tab will read "On resume, Password protect" rather ... Windows XP Shell/User ... > "windows-ley & L" But when it goes to sleep after the screen saver, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)