Re: Group Policy Editor

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

ed black <edblack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

ed black <edblack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

Not sure what you searched for in Help & Support - even *outside*
of MCE, this would not be a group policy issue. If you google for
"limited user" application error <etc> you will find a lot.

Right, I never googled 'limited user' application error.

You ought to be complaining to the doofuses who wrote the third
party applications which your end users cannot run. :-)

Thanks for clarifying that sysinternal app. I'll look into that
later. I'll try to walk through the 'Help and Support' on the start
menu

Open Help and Support
Pick a Help topic -- System administration
Security and administration tools
Overviews, articles, and tutorials -- Using Group Policy

OK - bu why would you search for or pick that option? Again: this
isn't a policy issue at all. It's really no more useful in your
situation than if you searched for "how do I use Notepad.exe" :-)

It went something like I found the problem, went to microsoft, typed
in some questions and keywords, 'user can't run software' 'user
account problem' stuff like that. Everything led to group policy
editor so I went to run as and did gpedit.msc and didn't understand
it, so I went to the H&S and looked it up

OK. But most of IT is knowing how to search - learning by trial and error.

"In an environment where you have one stand-alone computer or
several computers joined in a workgroup, you can still use Group
Policy to customize your computer.

To open Group Policy

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type gpedit.msc and then click OK.
When Group Policy opens, you will see two options in Local Computer
Policy: Computer Configuration and User Configuration. Computer
Configuration allows you to set policies that apply to your
computer, regardless of who logs on. User Configuration allows you
to set policies that apply to each user who logs on to the
computer."

" To open the Software Installation snap-in
Open the Group Policy snap-in.
To assign software applications to computers, in the console tree
double-click Computer Configuration. To assign or publish software
applications to users, in the console tree double-click User
Configuration. Double-click Software Settings, and then click
Software installation. Where?

policy name Policy
Computer Configuration (or User Configuration)
Software Settings
Software installation"

And at the part where I get to 'Software Installation' it's not
there.
I open up the Software Settings Folder and it's empty. It's a dead
end. Nothing to do in the 'Software Settings Folder'

I gotta run. I'll look at the process thing after work.

Thanks again Lanwench

You're welcome. But please don't muck around in your local computer policy.
You'll likely lock yourself out.

No problem. I think you're correct in that there's an error in the
Help & Support (without a domain, you technically don't have group
policy - you just have a local policy).

However, this is not a group policy thing - you don't even have
group policy because you aren't on a domain. You have a local
policy, and you do NOT want to mess with it - you'd end up locking
yourself out too.

You say it's not a group policy thing and technet.microsoft says it
is. I'm willing to try your fix, but so far I'm at a loss at what my
next step would be after I dl the process monitor and run it.

This is a permissions issue, plain and simple - in the file system &
perhaps also in the registry. And it's due to the developers.

I can't be the only one with MCE who has this issue. I'd like to
report it, but like I've said before, there is no 'submit a bug to
the developer' link that I can find

This is not an MCE issue.
This is not a Microsoft issue.

This is an issue with the PEOPLE WHO WROTE THE !@#$ SOFTWARE THAT WON'T RUN

(sorry for yelling, I've already tried to be clear about this several times)

I find it interesting that you insist it's not a microsoft issue. I'll
repeat what I went through earlier

" To open the Software Installation snap-in
Open the Group Policy snap-in.
To assign software applications to computers, in the console tree
double-click Computer Configuration. To assign or publish software
applications to users, in the console tree double-click User
Configuration. Double-click Software Settings, and then click
Software installation. Where?

policy name Policy
Computer Configuration (or User Configuration)
Software Settings
Software installation"

And at the part where I get to 'Software Installation' it's not
there.
I open up the Software Settings Folder and it's empty. It's a dead
end. Nothing to do in the 'Software Settings Folder'

The microsoft H&S files written in the OS and supplied with thexp MCE OS say
this can be done.

I GET THERE AND THE FOLDERS EMPTY --- no "Software Installation" node in
the "Software Settings" Folder.

You and I can yell and shout all we want. It doesn't change this fact.
Forget about my 3d party software that doesn't run. That's no longer the
issue, explain the issue with the empty "Software Settings" Folder.

Or do you even care that there's a flaw in the MS component? Is it so
trivial, that I as an End User shouldn't be concerned about it.

You're probably right, I probably shouldn't mess with the Local Policy or
the Group policy, But like I said, there's a problem with the GPE. I
understand that xp mce is obsolete and Vista is the latest flavor, but at
least recognize there's a problem with the GPE. You can't deny it, I can
supply screenshots or whatever.

Good Day, And you don't need to reply again if you're going to skirt the
issue of the flawed GPE.

  • Re: Do Not Execute Group Policy for Admins Group
    ... The intent of policy loopback is to replace or merge user configuration ... The computer configuration settings from this list are applied to the ... > so that the group policy will only apply to a certain group of users ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: GPO Question
    ... If you only have the computer account in the OU, the User Configuration half ... of the policy won't apply. ... OU heirarchy below) to which the GPO is linked for it to apply. ... > Group Policy was applied from: ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Why Win 2003 group policy can not apply to client
    ... First you need to decide do you want to have your policy settings configured ... or computer accounts in this OU and then link appropriate GPO to this OU. ... computers (computer configuration part) in OU with GPO linked. ... have configured not shown in "Applied Group Policy Objects". ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Intermittant GPO failure to apply
    ... If you have backup your group policy before, you can restore it from the ... 244474 How to force Kerberos to use TCP instead of UDP in Windows Server ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Set GPO for specific user group
    ... Click on the domain name in Group Policy Management, select the GPO and then click the arrow to the left to move it to the top of the list ... Filtering: Denied ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)