Re: Group Policy Editor

ed black <edblack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

ed black <edblack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

Not sure what you searched for in Help & Support - even *outside*
of MCE, this would not be a group policy issue. If you google for
"limited user" application error <etc> you will find a lot.

Right, I never googled 'limited user' application error.

You ought to be complaining to the doofuses who wrote the third
party applications which your end users cannot run. :-)

Thanks for clarifying that sysinternal app. I'll look into that
later. I'll try to walk through the 'Help and Support' on the start
menu

Open Help and Support
Pick a Help topic -- System administration
Security and administration tools
Overviews, articles, and tutorials -- Using Group Policy

OK - bu why would you search for or pick that option? Again: this
isn't a policy issue at all. It's really no more useful in your
situation than if you searched for "how do I use Notepad.exe" :-)

It went something like I found the problem, went to microsoft, typed
in some questions and keywords, 'user can't run software' 'user
account problem' stuff like that. Everything led to group policy
editor so I went to run as and did gpedit.msc and didn't understand
it, so I went to the H&S and looked it up

OK. But most of IT is knowing how to search - learning by trial and error.

"In an environment where you have one stand-alone computer or
several computers joined in a workgroup, you can still use Group
Policy to customize your computer.

To open Group Policy

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type gpedit.msc and then click OK.
When Group Policy opens, you will see two options in Local Computer
Policy: Computer Configuration and User Configuration. Computer
Configuration allows you to set policies that apply to your
computer, regardless of who logs on. User Configuration allows you
to set policies that apply to each user who logs on to the
computer."

" To open the Software Installation snap-in
Open the Group Policy snap-in.
To assign software applications to computers, in the console tree
double-click Computer Configuration. To assign or publish software
applications to users, in the console tree double-click User
Configuration. Double-click Software Settings, and then click
Software installation. Where?

policy name Policy
Computer Configuration (or User Configuration)
Software Settings
Software installation"

And at the part where I get to 'Software Installation' it's not
there.
I open up the Software Settings Folder and it's empty. It's a dead
end. Nothing to do in the 'Software Settings Folder'

I gotta run. I'll look at the process thing after work.

Thanks again Lanwench

You're welcome. But please don't muck around in your local computer policy.
You'll likely lock yourself out.

No problem. I think you're correct in that there's an error in the
Help & Support (without a domain, you technically don't have group
policy - you just have a local policy).

However, this is not a group policy thing - you don't even have
group policy because you aren't on a domain. You have a local
policy, and you do NOT want to mess with it - you'd end up locking
yourself out too.

You say it's not a group policy thing and technet.microsoft says it
is. I'm willing to try your fix, but so far I'm at a loss at what my
next step would be after I dl the process monitor and run it.

This is a permissions issue, plain and simple - in the file system &
perhaps also in the registry. And it's due to the developers.

I can't be the only one with MCE who has this issue. I'd like to
report it, but like I've said before, there is no 'submit a bug to
the developer' link that I can find

This is not an MCE issue.
This is not a Microsoft issue.

This is an issue with the PEOPLE WHO WROTE THE !@#$ SOFTWARE THAT WON'T RUN

(sorry for yelling, I've already tried to be clear about this several times)

  • Re: applying settings to clients forcefully
    ... The RSOP output states windows 2003 as member server. ... Windows 2000 IP Configuration ... Microsoft Windows Operating System Group Policy Result tool ... Default Domain Policy ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: applying settings to clients forcefully
    ... Yes it's member server of the infrasoft.lan domain and i am not using any terminal services of that machine, nor it's configured as terminal server. ... > Windows 2000 IP Configuration ... > Microsoft Windows Operating System Group Policy Result tool ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Windows 2000 Server GPO with Windows 2003 Server Terminal Serv
    ... I guess the next big question is how do I apply group policy for all my ... terminal server users without effecting the administrator account. ... Replace mode only looks at the "USer Configuration" ...
  • Re: Group Policy, Security Groups, and OUs
    ... So, let's say we have three major types of computer--desktop, server, and ... Now you create a group policy that has "computer ... configuration" settings and "user configuration" settings. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: make domain GP not apply to local computer?
    ... down the system which is "computer" configuration Group Policy. ... then a different GP can be set for the laptop computers to allow users to ... normal Group Policy user configuration settings in a merge or replace mode. ...