Re: administrator is limited

mike o. wrote:
on my computer, there is only one user, which is my own, and it has
administrative rights. but when i try to install a program, it
says i need administrative rights and to install it from the
adminstrative account. mine is the only account and is
administrative, so why wont it let me install. my dad had an
account on it before mine, but i deleted it and put my own in,
could that have an affect on my administrative rights. i would
just like to know how to completely give myself administrative
rights, since i am now the only account on the computer (when there
used to be one, which was the original)

You do not have just a single account on the computer - assuming it is
Windows XP.
There is a built in and undeletable account by the username "administrator"
and depending on the version of Windows Xp you have - you can get to it in a
couple of ways...

CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the "Welcome" screen for the Pro and supersets...
Safe Mode for Home...

Log in as the user "Administrator" - likely no password assigned (blank)...
Check your user account settings by:

Click on the start button --> select RUN --> type in:

control userpasswords 2

--> Click OK.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • SP2 - Access Denied error when installing software
    ... we'll repair Windows and then install SP2. ... > Okay here's what I've found in the registry looking at the permissions in the ... So I added my account and "Users " groups. ... > By the way I did all this from safe mode under the "Administrator" account. ...
    (microsoft.public.games)
  • Re: XP Professional Adminstraor Account...?
    ... Logged onto domain from workstation as Administrator. ... users and gave the user administrative rights. ... Logged out and logged back in under the users account in which I ... Attempt to install program and the install will fail while copying ...
  • Re: XP Professional Adminstraor Account...?
    ... Logged onto domain from workstation as Administrator. ... users and gave the user administrative rights. ... Logged out and logged back in under the users account in which I just ... Attempt to install program and the install will fail while copying ...
  • Delphi 4 IDE and applications in Vista
    ... I have always developed and installed my applications on XP machines, and everything seems to work OK. ... I am running using an identity with administrator privileges, but many of my files and folders seem to be shared with another identity. ... I can set the properties of the icon to run as administrator, and that works OK until the next install. ... Maybe I just need to delete the "Guest" user account, and keep the "Paul" account as administrator. ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)