Re: Virus Software and GPO

From: "tmish" <tmish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| Our McAfee Virus software cannot be installed on some of our machines
| automatically because the workstation admin$ share is only allowing guest to
| access it.
|
| I have changed the Group Policies to: Network Access: Sharing and security
| model for local accounts - "Classic - local users authenticate as themselves"
|
| This has worked on some of the machines but, not all of them. Is there
| another setting that may be causing this?
|
| The GPO is being handed out via Novell Zenworks. The users in this senario
| have Administrative rights to the local machine. We do not use the XP
| Firewall.
|
| I would appreciate any suggestions.
| Thanks,
| TJ

Guest account should NOT access the admin$, c$ or other administrative shares.
If the Guest account (which SHOULD be disabled on a Domain) has elevated privileges then
that affected platforms may already be infected with a SDBot, GAOBot or other BOT type worm.

--
Dave

  • RE: Open Guest Share question
    ... Subject: Open Guest Share question ... Usually the guest account doesn't have a password. ... all of these machines are patched and none are actually infected. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • More on VMWare poor guest isolation design
    ... This issue is not about a user on the host compromising a virtual guest. ... machines as an administrator, and a worm--running in the context of that ... context of the guest machines without knowing those administrator ... I use Windows Vista as my ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Sharing folders that everybody can read ?
    ... has a different password on the two machines. ... I'll try it from a new account with no equiv. ... Enable Guest account, open share permissions, add Guest and check Read ... how to let ANYBODY read a folder. ...
  • Re: Multiple guests with RRAS persistent-connection only allow one to work
    ... I have a Virtual Server 2005 host in which I run 4 different guests ... Remote Access configured for a persistent connection to the same ... the second guest, the connection in the first goes down. ... Are the guest machines unique installations, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
  • Re: Sharing folders that everybody can read ?
    ... Even with the "guest" account ... has a different password on the two machines. ... how to let ANYBODY read a folder. ...