RE: Malware Alarm

"Jo" wrote:

In the last few days I've been getting these boxes on screen at startup.
Malware alarm 2.1,evaluation warning -one says continue evaluating,the other
says purchase license. On the bottom is says if you've already purchased a
license enter your activation code and email address. It also says the
removal feature has been disabled. I can't close it or exit it. The only way
I can get it off the screen is to click the continue evaluating button. At
first I thought it was legit cause it was telling me they had checked and
found I have several threats that need to be removed but when I did the MS
update,they show nothing. I don't know what to do. I now know what malware
is,after reading about it but how do I get rid of this. I'm not exactly comp
literate. I do have the microsoft windows firewall on now. I checked it and
it was off. Also,out of the blue,I've been getting popups from internet speed
monitor,over and over again,my popup blocker is on. The Mcafee security has
been popping up telling me they blocked trojans. Can someone please tell me
what to do about this?

Internet Speed Monitor H
http://ca.com/us/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453122655

Go through these Cleaning steps:
1... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
by doing this:
Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Tabs:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.
How to manage Add-Ons:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256
Scan for malware from here:
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
RootkitRevealer v1.71
By Bryce Cogswell and Mark Russinovich
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/RootkitRevealer.mspx

Run a scan from here on-line:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
Download Avast Cleaner (offline scanner) from here:
Lots of tools to download and disinfect your machine (offline scanner):
http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/site/Downloads/browseFreeRemovalTool/

After the scan run disk cleanup on your drive.

try to run the Hijackthis and send the log to one of many forums and please
can you send me one at here:
to_you_rossatyahoo.co.uk (replace the at with@ to email me -!= _ ) for more
help, if you wish.

2- Download the Hijackthis and send the report to one of many
forums for analysis and troubleshooting:
http://www.merijn.org/index.php
When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis) is
the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. Post
your log to http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7, or other appropriate
forums for expert analysis, not here.

HTH.
Let us know how it is going.
nass
----
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

  • RE: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem.
    ... have Internet access and is not joined to a domain. ... My recommendation, download the Updates, specially the security ones on a CD ... Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option: ... When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2 ...
  • Re: Viruses and Undeleteable files
    ... internet, and the files cannot be stopped from opening in MSconfig ... Run AdAware and Spybot in Safe Mode ... You have malware on your computer. ... See below for HijackThis links. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: dls0523pmw.exe
    ... Connections>> Double click Internet Options, ... Click on General Tab and you will see a Button called ... file called the HOSTS file but not the one with the extension *.SAM* leave ... When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: 100% CPU usage and slow running
    ... Could you please run a scan for malware on your Machine, ... Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option: ... Lots of tools to download and disinfect your machine: ... When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2 ...
  • Re: dls0523pmw.exe
    ... Those are interesting if incomplete instructions for "preventing" malware ... infestations, not for specifically removing the malware the OP is already ... Click on General Tab and you will see a Button ... If you still directed Download the Hijackthis and send the report to one ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)