Re: Microsoft's WGA spyware again!

"Jeff" <jeff@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:u6WpPOmPIHA.4136@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In 2006 when Microsoft seems to have introduced its "Windows Genuine Advantage" there was an outcry by the public because it was discovered that this WGA was in fact spyware that called home to Microsoft on a regular basis. The outcry was such that Microsoft provided a way to uninstall it.

My PCs have been running XP for years and I have downloaded critical updates on a regular basis without WGA. But, in the last set of critical updates I could not download them without first having to download and install WGA. My Windows XPs are all legit and I have no problem with Microsoft checking that they are legit at the time of the critical update download, but I do have a problem with my PCs connecting to Microsoft at other times because there is no reason for that and it introduces additional risks.

Does anyone know anything about this new WGA installation? There seem to have been n o messages about it on the newslist after the 2006 ones and my questions on the general XP newslist go unanswered. Can the new WGA be uninstalled using the old uninstall tools? Does it call home like the old one did?

You are talking about the AX control used when visiting their web page, not the event that runs when you start Windows. Everytime you visit the WU site, it checks if you have the latest version of this AX control. It runs when you use their WU site. If you don't want it to run, don't do updates.

  • Re: Windows Is Calling Home
    ... this copy Windows XP Pro there was no mention of WGA, ... from Microsoft in order for Microsoft to check on the validity of my ... Now it's mandatory to download and install those "spyware" ... download and install all of the urgent security fixes...ad infinitum. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool KB892130
    ... > After reading most of the posts in this forum, ... > It is obvious that Microsoft is the party that is paranoid, ... I am not an MVP and never will be one but just download ... the WGA and start using your computer instead of configuring it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Microsofts WGA spyware again!
    ... In 2006 when Microsoft seems to have introduced its "Windows Genuine ... Advantage" there was an outcry by the public because it was discovered ... updates on a regular basis without WGA. ... updates I could not download them without first having to download and ...
  • Re: WGA Hacked?! Get a Fair and Balance Perspective!
    ... >>> can do today if you are not using IE or have an issue under WGA. ... > plug-in and IE and one without, and they both want to download WGA ... > validate the genuine nature fo the OS that the other one will. ... I had faster access to download before WGA. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Update Corp Version
    ... >>>cos M$ say they will fix it, IMHO I would leave it alone until WGA ... >>>Go to M$ Download site via Windows Update. ... Microsoft, NOT "Corp version", which is a common designation for one ... unauthorized downloads of XP's installation files are PIRATED ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)