Re: How to access a user folder to retrieve files from another system?

"Jon Boyes" <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Due to a motherboard failure on an old PC, I have just bought
a new system. Old and new system are both Win XP Pro.

I want to recover data from the hard drive on my old PC
(specifically my Outlook Express Folders & settings plus IE
favourites). Normally of course I would do this with the
files and settings transfer wizard but I just have the hard
drive from my old PC to work with.

I have installed the old drive in the new PC and if I try to
open my old user folder from the Documents and settings
folder I get the 'access is denied' message.

I also tried booting to the old drive (in safe mode as
obviously the OS would have all the old motherboard drivers
etc installed) but the system crashed with a blue stop error.

So is there anyway I can access my old files and settings
from the old hard drive?

Thanks.

With the hard drive from the old computer installed as a slave
drive on your new computer you need to disable Simple File
Sharing and take ownership of the files. Take a look at these
articles for more info:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

Good luck

Nepatsfan

  • Re: I want to move the Documents and Setting folder
    ... Settings folder. ... it will move the entire folder. ... > Windows XP - Shell/User ... I get the error message of SYNTAX ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Open Remote executable?
    ... the security of the document and settings folder see if your account has the ... proper permissions. ... A specific error message, worded the way it ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Client Setup error - Windows XP
    ... Log on using the username and password of the user whose settings you want ... In the Documents and Settings folder, ... Installed a new SBS 2003 server today at a client's office. ... | then get an error message when trying to proceed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SP2 Preparations
    ... From within my desk top I tried to copy my folder, a sub of Documets and Settings, by going to My Computer, Local Disk, Documents and Settings and my folder. ... If I close the error message the copy operation aborts. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Not being able to view shared folder contents
    ... What is the complete UNC path: ... What is the error message? ... Have you looked at both the share permissions and the security settings on that shared drive/partition? ... Computer Management and no one accesses that folder at the moment. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)