Re: How to enable multiple folders to be shared on the network?

cloud36 wrote:
I am using actually:
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2 SP 2.
Should I post again in:
Windows XP Media Center Edition?

XP MCE is a superset of XP Pro. See below:

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

1. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user accounts/passwords on all computers.

2. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple File Sharing enabled.

Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your situation.

I think it is a good idea to create the identical user accounts/passwords in any case in home networks.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: WPM11 Final - cant share files off network folders anymore? (
    ... You purchase Windows with file sharing capabilities, or even a server edition designed for file sharing and yet you can't use those file sharing capabilities for WMP 11? ... Are they saying I can't have all my media on one PC and access that library from wherever in the house I may be working? ... PC with Shared XP folder containing media files (has WMP11) ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: File Sharing issues with Windows XP Media Center 2002 w/ SP2
    ... Media Center runs under the SYSTEM context, so you'll have to adjust some ... Configuring network shares as watched folders for Media Center recorded TV ... Trying to enable file sharing between Windows XP Media ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: please help me, Im soo frustrated
    ... > all of these leeches...EVEN TV Media, apply changes and restart, once ... You should also empty your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Media Player 10 und SATA-Brenner
    ... dass auf Ihrem Computer der Windows Media ... Player in der neuesten Version installiert ist. ... Klicken Sie bitte anschließend auf. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.multimedia)
  • Re: Xbox 360 does not see Media Center PC - AGAIN
    ... Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC ... network issue (I get Xbox live and it sees my PC name etc on the Xbox), ... i.e. finshed install becuase it can not find ... While I can still have access to add/delete "Media Center ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)