Re: Offline files oddity

I found some answers to my qustion and thought I would close my own question...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811660 states

"When you add files to the Offline Files folder, these files are
synchronized whenever the computer connects to the network. Synchronization
occurs when the computer connects to the network, not when a user logs on to
the computer."

I was with you Steve thinking it was per user not the whole PC until i saw
this happen. At least I know it is just behavior MS does not bother to tell
you outright. :) Thanks.
"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

I have only seen offline files synch for the actual domain user logging on
or off and not all user accounts on a domain computer. See if the user can
take ownership of the file in question to see if that fixes the problem
though I am not sure why they would not be the owner unless another user
moved a file to their My Documents folder. I have also seen that database
files usually will not work with offline files - in particular .pst or
Access. Folder Redirection should only try to synch a users local My
Documents to their My Documents folder on the server.

Steve

"MrMako" <MrMako@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
We are redirecting the My Documents folder to a server hosting home
folders.
Everything works fine with the exception of this: every once in awhile a
user
complains that synchronization failed. My first thought it they have a
restricted file that is not allowed to offline in their My Docs or
something
corrupted in the offline cache. When you go to look at the error it is
actually trying to sync a file owned by another user.

I believe that all offline files, not just those of the currently logged
on
one, sync UP to the server at logoff. That is fine, but what I cannot
figure
out is:
1) Why does it try to sync these files when they have not changed on the
laptop? Even if they changed on the server that version would be newer and
do not think the offline cache syncs downward beyond the logged on user.
2) Is it trying to sync UserA's document with UserA's folder or UserA's
doc
with UserB's folder?
It is easy to fix, but I am trying to figure out why it occurs in the
first
place.

  • Re: offline files
    ... wait for all the others' files to sync every time). ... Disable offline files on the laptop completely. ... folder from the documents and settings folder isn't enough. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: My Documents Content Disappeared on Laptop while Traveling
    ... The user boots up their laptop away fom the office to find their 'My ... Documents folder empty. ... re-syncs the My Documents folder again and all is well. ... Please double check how you used offline files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Users My Documents Target Location
    ... Then try to follow KB 230738 to reset the offline files cache ... you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly. ... >>the Users folder on the server its out of synch. ... >>> support group policy deployment. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Synchronize of profile and user share folder
    ... With method two, when the cache is clear and offline will not be available, ... share folder do not sync when you logon and log off the computer. ... Open windows explorer, click Tool menu, select Synchronize. ... The Offline Files cache on the local computer will be re-initialized. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: folder redirdction for remote users
    ... documents' folders using offline files. ... I think the cause of the fault is the way you have set up this sub folder ... Our offline files for remote users aren't set to be offline at the 'my ... Folder redirection seems to reset itself for some remote users, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)