Re: Lost Administrators Password

Mihalakis wrote:
hi,

did you finally bought this Active@ Password Changer or not?
does it work or not?

it seems I have been locked out from Admin. rights after i did a reset of my password and didn't provide for a new one ...

You've posted to a very old thread and what's worse, you've responded to a spammer. There is no reason to ever pay for a password changer program. See below.

If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. If you don't have another account like this set up or don't have the password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in Administrator account. In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen, do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in "Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows.

If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords that you will remember and make other desired changes. WRITE THE PASSWORDS DOWN AND PUT THEM SOMEWHERE YOU WON'T LOSE THEM.

To change the built-in Administrator account in XP Pro if you can log into another account with administrative privileges reset the password in the Local Users and Groups snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC):

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type "mmc" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK to start MMC.
3. Start the Local Users and Groups snap-in.
4. Under Console Root, expand "Local Users and Groups", and then click Users.
5. In the right pane, right-click Administrator, and then click Set Password.
6. Click Proceed in the message box that appears.
7. Type and confirm the new password in the appropriate boxes, and then click OK.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: Lost Administrators Password
    ... it seems I have been locked out from Admin. ... If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account ... normally hidden Administrator account. ... built-in Administrator account's password to a blank. ...
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... policy to rename the account although it is not really necessary or useful. ... Did I check Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop. ...
  • Re: Login as local admin
    ... The article does not reference "local" administrator (as far as I ... If you choose to use an account other than the built-in administrator ... install then fails but indicates success. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... one referencing the original administrator account: ... specific policy setting that was flagged with a big, ... I used an incorrect procedure to rename the ...
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... Did you check the Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Administrator account? ... what policy do you have? ... referencing the former administrator account. ...