Re: Anti-virus, anti-spyware freezing in Win XP

Hi,

I am experiencing the same, and like you, suspect a root kit
infection. Found this page with Google.

http://www.avira.com/en/threats/section/fulldetails/id_vir/1317/tr_vidro.u.html

A root kit which hides itself in the tracking log file.

I have downloaded Avira and am running it overnight to see how it gets
on.

  • Panz root kit
    ... has any one heard of a root kit called panz or similar? ... probably use bind vunerabilities to get in. ... google does not turn up anything useful, ... Unknown sysadmin, 1998-10-27. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Hiding Services
    ... Root kit attacks can hide processes from Task Manager. ... If you suspect such you ... should view the processes running via a remote computer and compare it to what is ... >>Must all boot and logon services be started through the registry, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: changing what files will open with - en masse
    ... as to be hard to believe, or at least to suspect that you aren't ... /user, perhaps as a typo. ... I might suspect some kind of a root kit with a ... my paranoid alter ego typing the above para. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)