Re: Cooked motherboard..Validation worry

Ok.........The student vesrion is quite capable of upgrading W2000.....but I would be doing a NEW install which should be part of the initial setup options.
A new install goes thru the steps of verifying the upgrade path ,it then formats the HD and install new...everything on that drive will be gone.
What worries me is the speed of the start up and the slowness of opening programs........could you list some specs of your used machine??
mobo....RAM....HD...size&speed..???
peter
"aussiecris" <aussiecris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:9B21F92A-3E0C-4FAB-A315-1251263F5845@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh peter I wasnt very clear was i ..the 2nd hand drive has windows 2000 on
it and the product I want to use is Windows XP professional upgrade with
service pack 2- Academic price

Hope this helps

"peter" wrote:

Little confused here......XP student upgrade???
As far as I know there are various versions of XP...including XP
Student/Teacher...which is just a cost less version of XP.
So if you have the "normal" XP why would one buy another XP? (student
upgrade)......I believe the XP student upgrade is to upgrade from a previous
OS like 98 or ME to XP student/teacher version.
So the question is what did you buy?? what is on that used HD?? Maybe you
could post some specs of her system..
I know I would be formatting the HD and reinstalling my own OS ...XP Student
if you have a 98/ME CD to verify the upgrade during the installation.

> Hi i cooked my Daughters motherboard (my fault) and I dont know what
> happened
> but the O/S went as well. I had just saved for and installed an xp > student
> upgrade about 3 months before....I have now finally managed to buy a > 2nd
> hand
> hard drive and motherboard with what appears to be a very damaged
> (extremely
> unresponsive O/S but will go eventually but slow when opening new > windows
> etc) am I able to reinstall the xp upgrade that was barely used. the
> actual
> xp unit has not been used for over 6 months now but she has her finals
> coming
> up...I will stop playing PC technician I promise lol

  • Re: Installing Encarta & Word
    ... to 3 PCs in the same household to legally install the ... | If you read the EULA for the Student and Teacher edition, it can be | installed on a desktop AND a laptop. ... the Student and Teacher Edition of Microsoft Office does not |>> qualify as a valid upgrade path. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Web vs. Desktop based systems
    ... provider with better privacy policy (perhaps Yahoo) also provides ... to other folder or reporting spam or changing the filter recipes. ... But how do you *really* know the important upgrade that keeps ... The alert-window doesn't exactly say *why* you need to install this ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Requesting some leniency on your piracy protection program ple
    ... If Windows is retail, not at all. ... You can reinstall, upgrade, move to a different computer all you want as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time. ... The things I do not get, is not being able to> install the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 10.6.7 Just works
    ... If you have the install disc just pop it in and do a reinstall. ... The recent upgrade to 10.6.7 brings a lot of problems with third part ... I have tried switching System Language, and even restarting the mac. ... Did anyone else run into a slow restart after the 10.6.7 update ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Increasing Debians Adoptability [Was: Skipping releases on dist-upgrades]
    ... deal) decision that I will back up and then install new. ... distro upgrade. ... volunteer Debian mirrors and such.. ... Teach everyone you can grab how to partition, how to use micromedia, ...
    (Debian-User)