Re: Internet Connection Error

Thanks Steve,

I seem to have tracked down the problem, however I can't really give an
explaination for it -

Basically this problem revolved around my custom installation of IE 7
designed with the IEAK.

When I created this installation I added the proxy settings, homepage and
the settings that most of my users required, and I assigned the changes with
GPO's.

If I install from windows update or a new IEAK package with no proxy or
homepage settings I don't get this error - it seems to me that the local
settings from the IEAK package are interfering with my GP defined settings.

Any idea? It's not as inmportant now as at least the users are working again!

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Try comparing the proxy settings for Firefox compared to Internet Explorer
to see if you see any differences that may account for the problem. Also
compare the proxy settings for Internet Explorer for a user that does not
have the problem compared to one that does. Look under Internet
Explorer/tools/internet options/connections - lan settings and also view
everything in the advanced page of the proxy server settings. It seems to be
a problem with the client computer if Firefox has no problem accessing the
internet. Also just to see what happens try disabling using the proxy server
in Internet Explorer for a test.

Steve

"howdidigethere" <howdidigethere@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Steven

Running RSOP gives me the expected results (correct proxy settings etc).

Running Firefox as the same user lets me connect the the internet through
this proxy.

Running IE 6 or 7 lets me connect to the Web servers that I have on my IP
range. Trying to go outside of the local subnet however causes IE to fall
over. If I run the basic network diagnostic tool (xpnetdiag) I get the
following:

Last diagnostic run time: 10/19/07 13:45:37 Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Connecting through work or corporate network
info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with
the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with
the
server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12002 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The operation
timed
out
warn HTTPS: Error 12002 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The operation
timed
out
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

I've also noticed that IE resolves any URL entered, but then times out.

Unfortunatly I don't have much control over the proxy (I'm in an
educational
establishement and we subscribe to a specific area wide ISP set up for
schools). Being able to contact the outside world from firefox confuses
me!

Thanks for your help!

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Are the new users being created in the same container/OU as existing
users??
You say you are using a proxy. If it is something like Microsoft ISA then
possibly user based rules are being used to manage internet access and
new
users need to be added to a group or individually to the list that the
rule
references. If the user gets some sort of message when internet access
fails
that can be helpful.

While that user is logged on have him run rsop.msc and check the results
compared to a user that does not have the problem and also have that user
check his Internet Explorer proxy settings and see how they compare to a
user that is not having a problem accessing the internet. I tend to doubt
it
is a DNS issue as DNS is computer specific setting. I tend to think it is
proxy related.

Steve

"howdidigethere" <howdidigethere@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
I have a strange issue going on here on an inherited system of around
100
PC's and two servers.

If I log on a a local user to a machine, I can connect to the internet
(via
a proxy) no problems. The same with existing domain users.

If I create a new user and try to connect to the internet(according to
xpnetdiag). I can ping everything however i cannot get an internet
connection. During that same session I use runas to launch explorer as
an
existing domain user/local user and the connection works. I can also
run
xpnetdiag as a existing domain user and have no problems.

I have checked IE maintenance GP and everything that should be enable
is.
have also enabled the IE processing GP. I have moved the user out of
its
container and put it into another OU where users do not have this
problem.
Still no joy.

Even with no GP settings being applied (new OU, inheritance blocked)
this
still does not work. Have moved the machine being logged onto in the
same
manner.

My new user accounts have a roaming profile loaded from the server and
folder redirection on all 4 available folders. My old ones had no such
redirection.

If I run dnscmd.exe from the machine I get an access denied messae. If
run
it as another (working) user i get a result.

This looks like a DNS error, but I can't see what it is. Can anyone
help?

  • RE: Group Policy Connundrum - Stick with it, its confusing!!!
    ... Applied Group Policy Objects ... Small Business Server Internet Connection Firewall ... Secure Proxy Server: 0.0.0.0:80 ... Import the current Content Ratings Settings: ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: IE6 Page Cannot be displayed while connection is OK
    ... "nass" wrote: ... To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click ... Internet service provider. ... See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. ...
  • RE: IE6 Page Cannot be displayed while connection is OK
    ... To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click ... Internet service provider. ... See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. ... Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network ...
  • Re: Fixing or REPLACING I.E.6 (PLease see replies)
    ... On the Connections tab, click Settings. ... administrator or Internet service provider. ... can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover ... network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this ...
  • Re: Internet Connection Error
    ... Running RSOP gives me the expected results (correct proxy settings etc). ... Running Firefox as the same user lets me connect the the internet through ... HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic ... warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the ...