Re: No access on shares WinXPSP2 from Windows Server 2003 SP2

If the XP computer is XP Pro and simple file sharing is disabled as shown in
Explorer/tools/folder options/view - simple file sharing then you need to
have a user account with a password on the XP computer that can be used to
authenticate to from the Windows 2003 operating system and ideally you would
logon to that account for Windows 2003. Check the security log on the XP
computer to see if any logon failures are shown at the time that access is
denied that may give you a clue as to what is going on. Can you access that
shared folder from another computer on the network??

Steve

"Jon" <Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have shared a folder on a machine running MS Windows XP SP2, initially
granting 'read' to everyone and then granting full rights.

When trying to copy from the share from a Virtual PC machine which runs
MS
Windows 2003 SP 2, on the same network, an error is being displayed saying
that access is denied.

The file cannot be executed directly from the share either.

Any ideas, pls?

Command screen from host machine
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>cacls /?
Displays or modifies access control lists (ACLs) of files

CACLS filename [/T] [/E] [/C] [/G user:perm] [/R user [...]]
[/P user:perm [...]] [/D user [...]]
filename Displays ACLs.
/T Changes ACLs of specified files in
the current directory and all subdirectories.
/E Edit ACL instead of replacing it.
/C Continue on access denied errors.
/G user:perm Grant specified user access rights.
Perm can be: R Read
W Write
C Change (write)
F Full control
/R user Revoke specified user's access rights (only valid with
/E).
/P user:perm Replace specified user's access rights.
Perm can be: N None
R Read
W Write
C Change (write)
F Full control
/D user Deny specified user access.
Wildcards can be used to specify more that one file in a command.
You can specify more than one user in a command.

Abbreviations:
CI - Container Inherit.
The ACE will be inherited by directories.
OI - Object Inherit.
The ACE will be inherited by files.
IO - Inherit Only.
The ACE does not apply to the current file/directory.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>cd ..

C:\Documents and Settings>cd user

C:\Documents and Settings\user>cd downloads

C:\Documents and Settings\user>dir
Volume in drive C is Giorgio
Volume Serial Number is A41F-9E39

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\user

17/10/2007 22:44 <DIR> .
17/10/2007 22:44 <DIR> ..
22/07/2007 19:57 <DIR> Contacts
19/10/2007 00:16 <DIR> Desktop
11/10/2007 12:15 <DIR> Favorites
16/10/2007 00:00 <DIR> My Documents
26/09/2007 01:34 <DIR> Start Menu
0 File(s) 0 bytes
7 Dir(s) 13,422,780,416 bytes free

C:\Documents and Settings\user>cd my documents

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents>cacls downloads
C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\downloads Everyone:(OI)(CI)R
ARMANI\user:F

ARMANI\user:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
NT
AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(C
I)(IO)F

BUILTIN\Administrators:F

BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI
)(CI)(IO)F

C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents>

  • Re: adding new user
    ... That is not normal and would not have anything to do with the Windows ... /R user Revoke specified user's access rights. ... Wildcards can be used to specify more that one file in a command. ... CI - Container Inherit. ...
  • Re: A Solution
    ... /G user:perm Grant specified user access rights. ... Wildcards can be used to specify more that one file in a command. ... CI - Container Inherit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • RE: A Solution
    ... /G user:perm Grant specified user access rights. ... /R user Revoke specified user's access rights. ... Wildcards can be used to specify more that one file in a command. ... CI - Container Inherit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: A Solution
    ... My XBOX 360, which was allowed via Media Sharing, only ... /G user:perm Grant specified user access rights. ... Wildcards can be used to specify more that one file in a command. ... CI - Container Inherit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • RE: WMP11 not adding files from my external Hard Drive
    ... momgenie www.geniushands.com/getcreative ... /R user Revoke specified user's access rights. ... Wildcards can be used to specify more that one file in a command. ... CI - Container Inherit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)