Re: ADMINISTRATOR GONE!

anke wrote:
Hello Malke,
Yes, I think you are right,... probably the best solution just to have it all cleaned up. I was told in the process of getting rid of the many and various viruses, that bits of older anti-virus products were still running in the system which caused the newer products not to work properly....which I found strange since those particular bits were over three years old, but nevermind.
Every virus leaves its mark, whether big or small....so what with the collection that has built up over the more than three years...
After the sytem is all shiny and fresh, is it it just a matter of updating my current anti virus/antispyware/anti malware/firewall product regularily (I'm using the AVG currently)? Or do you suggest also adding, or doing, extra stuff?
Thanks again for your help!
Anke

I personally prefer Avast to AVG, but NOD32 and Kaspersky are really good if you don't mind paying. Stay away from Norton and McAfee. I think the Windows Firewall is fine for most people and I use the free Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy programs on my Windows machines. The most important part of security is the user - practicing "Safe Hex".

Safe Hex:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971 - So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
http://www.getsafeonline.org/
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2006/02/05/82584.aspx - MVP Harry Waldron - The Family PC - How to stay safe on the Internet
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm - Eric Howes on Rogue Antispyware Programs

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: Safe AntiSpyware Products
    ... > AVG, Windows Defender, SpyBot, Malicious software tool. ... The real key is practicing "Safe Hex". ... http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm - Eric Howes on Rogue Antispyware Programs ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Changing the Administrators password
    ... > Is it safe for me to change the Administrator's (now named something ... To do this I make my own account part of the ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ... How to Defragment your hard drives ...
  • Re: stupid searchbar wont go away
    ... >> safe place along with their CD keys and such. ... >> maximum size for this is small enough not to cause trouble in the future. ... >> Why you should use a computer firewall.. ... >> have to be the built-in Windows Firewall of Windows XP. ...
  • Re: Loaded SP2 now Im in a boot loop...Things to try.
    ... When it rebooted and I had a choice of safe and all other types of boot ... > Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Sandboxing?
    ... unnecessary network services, running from unprivileged accounts, automatic windows updates, etc. but I've not enough technical expertise to be aware of the degree of exposure of my machine. ... Safe Hex. ...
    (alt.computer.security)