RE: security center won't start

"swmpthng" wrote:

i recently installed sp2 and could not restat system afterwards, so i
installed a copy of xp sp2 that was downloaded from my school on the msdn
website, still would not boot, so i started from cd and went backwards to xp
sp1 system boots and runs normal i went to update and was able to update
windows installer 3.1 and update for bits 2.0.

but i cannot download any more updates, they all come as 0 kb's, with a
message that says
Successful: 0
Failed: 58
Remaining: 0

Successful Updates

Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each
problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You
will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be
installed.

Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or
uninstall any programs that you don’t use. For directions, see Help and
Support on your computer.

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check
your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you
can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your
System Tray.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.

Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being
downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that
doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.

Microsoft Windows XP
Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339)
i left out all but 1st and last update, there 58 of them total

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)

Remaining High-Priority Updates
Your computer might be at risk until you install all high-priority updates.
These updates help protect against security threats and performance problems.

To review all updates you’ve installed from this website or by turning on
automatic updating on your computer, see your update history.

when i start checking things out i find that security center is not running
i have read and tried running
services.msc

i get message : could not start security center on local machine.
error 1083: the executable program that this service is configured to run in
does not implement the service.

security center is set on: automatic
this the path to the executable:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

should i just reinstall windows or wipe the drive and start over? this is
not my primary drive on the system i also run x64 on this rig, i just use
this hdd for gaming

i just hate tiny little problems that ----------------AGRIVATE ME!

thanx for any help you can give to help me fix this - Rick

i'm also posting about this at overclocker.com security forum.

  • Re: Windows XP Update is now Broken!
    ... installing just the first 102 security updates from Microsoft, ... Windows XP is intentional. ... other security traps, I have an obligation to deliver a computer as ... security rollbacks need not worry about installing Windows updates... ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Windows XP Update is now Broken!
    ... installing just the first 102 security updates from Microsoft, ... Windows XP is intentional. ... other security traps, I have an obligation to deliver a computer as ... security rollbacks need not worry about installing Windows updates... ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Some updates could not be installed ---to: PA Bear [MS MVP]
    ... There is no charge for support related to installing a Security Update. ... "When you call please let them know that this has to do with Security Bulletin MS09-062. ... "If they try to charge you, please let them know that there is free support for any issues with Security Updates." ... This service pack upgrades all Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: System Restore and more problems
    ... I have exactly the same symptoms after installing ... Security Bulletin release to rest Administrators controls. ... Windows updates and my CD drive. ... I have to disable the WIA service to see my files in Windows ...
  • RE: security center wont start
    ... Successful Updates ... For help installing an update successfully, ... Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check ... Security Update for Windows XP ...