Re: security center won't start

On Aug 1, 10:02 am, "Maincat" <st...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Do you run any Norton AV or Internet Security software? I'm betting you do.
Let us know.

I'm not the original poster but I have the same problem on one XP SP2
machine- and yes, it started after installing NAV2007.

For one thing, I can't restart the security center service through the
'services' panel. I've noticed that the path name is completely
screwed up to look like this:

\SystemRoot\C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

I've installed NAV2007 on other similar computers that were configured
to *not* alert to Windows updates whereas the one I'm on was so
configured. I suspect that has something to do with why this
particular machine is fubared and I'm able to at least manually start
the security center on the other ones. Spybot will even do the repair.
What ticks me off is that Norton disables the security center on each
restart - unlike NAV2006 where at least I was able to disable the
Norton protection center and permanently set the Windows security
center to 'automatic'.

I keep hoping Microsoft releases a fix at some point to protect its
security center from the malware-like behaviour of Norton.

/rant,
/hunter

  • Re: Symantec: Which should come first... the chicken or the egg...
    ... Installing - Norton System Works then Internet Security. ... Uninstall also left orphan files and folders, some hidden, ...
  • Re: System Restore does not work
    ... Did you uninstall the Norton free-trial *before* it expired *and* did you then download/run the Norton Removal Tool *before* you installed the Panda application four years ago? ... Norton was preinstalled but removed when installing first versions of Panda ... What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: NAV2007 and XP Security Center
    ... after installing NAV2007 on several XP SP2 machines and ... the Security Center has been completely disabled! ... Well Windows Updates break Norton all of the time. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Servive Pack 2 and antivirus
    ... If you are not able to get the Security Center to recognise Norton ... Symantec Security Alert appears after running LiveUpdate or installing ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Norton AntiVrus
    ... > me to check my virus protection, ... If you are not able to get the Security Center to recognise Norton ... Symantec Security Alert appears after running LiveUpdate or installing ...