Re: Please make popups stop

Besides the suggestions provided by the preivous reply, you might try installing an ad-avoidance "hosts" file.

"hosts" is usually found in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc". But, it may be very small and contain almost nothing.

If you place a web address in the hosts file, then equate that to IP address, that will point back to your PC.

For example, my hosts file includes the following line:

Note that lines that begin with "#" in the hosts file are comments.

You can get a free hosts file that block many, many popups and ads at:

The one problem with using hosts to block popups is that some popups are required for some websites to function. For example, I can not view video clips on, unless I unblock a few addresses related to doubleclick ads. That can be done by simply adding "#" to the line in the hosts file.

"escape" <escape.f3720c@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:escape.f3720c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

See today's most popular deals at »
Digg it!

I am being hit with an popup which I can't seem to stop. I've
tried add/remove programs, but I can't find it. I've run adaware, but
that doesn't do anything. I'm not sure what information you need to
help me solve this problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Spontaneously Forwards when I press Back
    ... And by the way the popups aren't from any programs I downloaded. ... > Let AD-Aware Scan your system for advertising Spyware ... This now creates a "Bad hosts file entry" in the log file generated at ... > Before trying to remove spyware, download a copy of LSPFIX from ...
  • Re: spybot and panicware - do they work? are they real?
    ... AdAware and Spybot complement each other - and frequently find stuff each other ... can, but needs expert interpretation. ... I block popups with hosts file blocking. ...
  • IE 6 script web virus .. finally found the reinfection source
    ... i use it alot to kill off popups ... whenever you do an off IE, it redirects ... hosts file is a nice but accidental tool, ...
  • Blocking ads via HOSTS for ISA ?
    ... I am currently using a custom HOSTS file to block banners, popups, ads, etc. ... #[Bargin Buddy] ...
  • Re: strange characters in ping results
    ... >>I have a Windows XP home workstation that cannot browse the Internet. ... > If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet ... > Block known dangerous scripts from installing. ... > Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. ...