Re: cached login credentials

Oops! Right, I missed that bit.

In answer to your original question, it depends on which kind of logon you use. Anything that does an interactive logon will store cached credentials, so yes, the GUI RunAs will do this. The command-line RunAs will also, unless you include the /netonly switch.

Sure, rainbow tables are growing in popularity. They're effective in pass-the-hash attacks, and this is why I've become an ardent fan of long simple passphrases rather than short complex passwords. Pass phrases are easier to remember, you can type them quicker, and they thwart rainbow tables. Consider a simple 20-character passphrase: you're looking at many tens, maybe low hundreds, of years to generate. And I can't find a handy formula now, but I suspect that finding sufficient hard drive space to store the output will be a bit problematic. For the same reasons, rainbow tables become ineffective against password verifiers: remember these are salted with user IDs, which require significantly larger tables--again, there's the time and space issues to contend with.

Interesting corollary you've thought of, and I'm sure there's a lot of smart discussion that could take place around it. I would consider it this way: the only true defense we have against physical access is time. If we can implement measures that seriously increase the time it would take to launch an attack, then the stolen asset becomes less interesting (and indeed probably encourages the attacker to move on to someone not as smart as you). I like to think of encryption as the thing that buys us time. If the available measures increase the time cushion to millions of years, then I'm cool with that--to me, it's good enough. Long simple passphrases and BitLocker (with TPM and PIN, please) are satisfactory mitigations to Immutable Law #3.

Steve Riley
steve.riley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://blogs.technet.com/steriley