Re: Do techies / admins here run windows xp as a limited user?

jameshanley39@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Do techies / admins here run windows xp as a limited user?

Routinely using a computer with administrative privileges is not without some risk. You will be much more susceptible to some types of malware, particularly adware and spyware. While using a computer with limited privileges isn't the cure-all, silver bullet that some claim it to be, any experienced IT professional will verify that doing so definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth of penetration by the malware. If you get infected/infested while running as an administrator, the odds are much greater that any malware will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to remove with formating the hard drive and starting anew. The intruding malware will have the same privileges to all of the files on your hard drive that you do.

A technically competent user who is aware of the risks and knows how to take proper precautions can usually safely operate with administrative privileges; I do so myself. But I certainly don't recommend it for the average computer user.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

  • Re: Key loggers - do they alarm you?
    ... All the hacker gets is a series of mouse clicks. ... it won't be the only bit of MalWare (most of them Download ... or Install themselves along with other MalWare & if ... in using a Use Account that has Full Administrative Privileges. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: foolproof computer from malware?
    ... If I make his account a limited user account, would that stop all malware from entering his computer? ... A technically competent user who is aware of the risks and knows how to take proper precautions can usually safely operate with administrative privileges; ... reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, ...
  • Re: "Living" in admin account all day?
    ... While using a computer with limited privileges isn't the cure-all, silver bullet that some claim it to be, any experienced IT professional will verify that doing so definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth of penetration by the malware. ... A technically competent user who is aware of the risks and knows how to take proper precautions can usually safely operate with administrative privileges; ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Key loggers - do they alarm you?
    ... All the hacker gets is a series of mouse clicks. ... You can be sure that if you do have a KeyLogger type thing on your ... it won't be the only bit of MalWare (most of them Download ... in using a Use Account that has Full Administrative Privileges. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: baffled by efs
    ... and then I "restore" them to an arbitrary PC. ... I'm waiting for the first such malware to claim legitimate ... your assailant's hand warm and safe as it does yours. ... ...and what I call "risk WYSIWYG"... ...