Re: Cannot access my private folder...

See Help and Support and search for "take ownership"

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

Note: You need to go into Folder Options, View and scroll down. Uncheck Use simple file sharing in order to see the Security tab.
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"ola_atb" <olaatb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:01887F27-FBEF-46FF-938D-515C1A7976A6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,

I had 2 different desktops; a Sony Vaio and a Dell Dimension 2350. Both had
Windows XP Professional on them. To cut the long story short, the motherboard
for my Dell died on me and instead of buying another one, decided to just
move the harddisk into the Sony Vaio.

I had made my files private in the Dell, and now, I do not have access to my
files even though the username and password were the same prior to the dell
giving up.

Is there a way that I can gain access to my information again? Please note
that the harddisk from the Dell is now the F Drive in my Sony, and my
username as the system owner is the same as what I had on the Dell.

Thanks in advance.

--
An Avvid Student

  • Re: Preventing access to a secondary hard drive
    ... If you're running NTFS as your file system, you can 'take ownership' of the ... any other Administrator account can take ownership as well. ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ...
  • Re: SP2 Crash/Re-Install on new HD. How do I access the files in my old profile?
    ... You need to "Take Ownership" of the folder. ... Support" and search for take ownership that should give you the info you ... > Last week I attempted to Install Windows XP on my home computer. ...
  • Re: Cannot access my private folder...
    ... a Sony Vaio and a Dell Dimension ... Both had Windows XP Professional on them. ... You need to disable Simple File Sharing and take ownership of ... shared folder in Windows XP ...
  • Recovering "documents & settings" after reinstall
    ... Have a Dell Dimension 8250, ... Voila, no old documents and settings, including ... I used Windows Explorer to find all ... Is there anything saved in a different folder or registry ...
  • Re: access denied to my documents after rebuild/upgrade SP2
    ... "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder ... How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP ... If I boot in safe mode windows is not aware that it has an ...