Re: installing under a non-administrative user

ICTag wrote:
I've given my kids non-administrative user accounts to prevent them
installing whatever they get their hands on. (win xp pro sp2)

I installed some programs after logging on to one of their accounts
(giving my admin userid and password when prompted) using the
install wizard and a message appeared saying installation was
completed.
However, the program menu only shows 'uninstall' and not the
program itself.

When I navigate to the exe program in the program file directory to
start it manually (or create a shortcut) it won't work either.

The weird thing is that when I log on to my admin account I find an
icon created on my admin desktop and this executes the program.

Do really I have to let the kids log on to my admin account when
they want to play a game?

I'm simply not on the same wavelength as Microsoft on this one and
I can't find any online help on this either.

Any ideas?

You are an administrator and in being one - you have to grant the 'users'
rights they need to be able to run the application. This task can be rather
painful. You usually can get away with doing nothing more than changing the
installation directory permissions so that 'users' have read/change rights.
Sometimes you have to also change registry permissions. On occassion, you
might have to discover some strange file it placed outside the installation
directory (common areas like \Program Files\Common\ and \Windows\ and
\Windows\System32\) - but you want to be very SELECTIVE in giving
permissions.

Something like REGMON and FILEMON can help you locate exactly what
files/registry entries are accessed if the simple solution (NTFS permissions
on the installation directory) doesn't work.

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder
permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • Re: Admin account currupted/hacked-how to repair?
    ... Windows defender installed- ... I fear my admin account password is ... during installation about ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP boots to background only, no start button, no icons
    ... I tried the cacls command for explorer.exe and it showed that users & power ... about not having the right permissions. ... but I can access my task manager. ... use your system CD to do a repair installation. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Administrator cannot access registry or uninstall programs
    ... VirusScan Enterprise 7 or Netshield 4.5... ... >Select the 'SYSTEM' account ... changing permissions ... >Copy the VSE installation files to C:\WINNT\Temp ...
  • Re: Secondary Site Not Generating ccr
    ... That account will be used to access the share, so if it has no permissions ... Can I add the client installation account to the client installation share ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: Deploying Software with Computer GPO Errors
    ... Nathan I recommend you to try with Share Permission everyone full control ... >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services ... set the permissions on the share with Administrators having ... Setup the Software Installation default location to the ...