Re: Intrusion attempts from the internet.

"Bill & Debbie" wrote in message news:OextnHzvHHA.4332@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Gordon" wrote ...

"Bill & Debbie" wrote ...

Recently there have been a lot of intrusion attempts on my computer. Norton's firewall has prevented the intrusions. The same IP addresses keep making the attempt over and over again. Is there something I can easily change in my system that will change my identity so that the same intruder will have to find me all over again.

How do you connect to the internet?

DSL

Okay, so does your host's network card or port connect directly to the DSL modem? Or is there a router in between? If you have a router even with a simplistic firewall then it will get rid of the unsolicited intrusion attempts (i.e., CPU cycles are wasted at the single-purpose router rather than wasiting CPU cycles on your general-purpose computer).

It is highly likely that those same IP addresses for the source host are not just targeting you. They are scanning a range of IP address so even if you changed the IP address of your computer (or WAN-side of your router) they would still hit you since you will still probably be within their scan range. When you change your IP address, the intruder WILL find you all over again and do so immediately.

So have you reported the intruder to the owner of the IP address (the ISP owns the IP address, not the user)?

  • Re: Ask EU - firewalls
    ... A router is certainly a better option than a software firewall, ... I have both a router and Zone Alarm ... intrusions which would have got past ZA? ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... not visiting dodgy Websites. ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... how long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)