Re: WinXP Firewall always turned off on startup!

My apologies MowGreen, I tried it again and it worked!
I must have copied it incorrectly!

Needless to say, I entered that command (the rundll32) and it solved the
problem!!!!! After so many hours of searching , finally!! thank you so much.

mike

"MikeyP" wrote:

Thanks for your reply
As I mentioned, the options of firewall are not greyed out, i simply need to
manually enable the firewall on bootup.

I tried your suggestion below (rundll32)
it didn't work. Said installation failed. Is this all one line?
rundll32 setupapi (comma or period) ?

thanks

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132
%windir%\inf\netrass.inf

Click OK
Back to Start > Run > type in [or copy&paste]

cmd /k netsh firewall reset

Click OK

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

MikeyP wrote:

Hello! I recently reformatted my pc and reinstalled WinXP home.
When I restart the computer, a pop up displays that my computer is currently
at risk, and there are no firewalls turned on.
If I click on that icon, I can turn the firewall ON (it is not greyed out)

I'm trying to figure out how to get this to stay ON, and not have to enable
it after each reboot.
I have no other firewall softwares installed, and to my knowledge, I have no
viruses/malware/adware and have scanned in safe mode with multiple
adware/malware/virus scanners

Is there a way to "reinstall" the firewall?
I have searched thru the newsgroup, I have tried the NETSH FIREWALL RESET,
to no avail.
I have scanned thru the registry and removed mention of windowsfirewall.
Upon reboot, same thing.

I also tried creating a .REG file
[hkey_local_machine/software/policies/microsoft/windowsfirewall/standardprofile]
"enablefirewall"=dword:0000001

(not exactly as shown above, I copied it from a msg posted by a MVP)
What this did was , a brief error message on bootup (the same popup about
the firewall), but it quickly dissapeared. When i went to check the status of
the firewall in control panel, it was greyed out and a note about group
policies preventing me from making changes.
Now, it was greyed out on "ON" - does this mean that it is indeed turned on,
or that its not functional?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

  • Re: bidirectional communication
    ... Uninstall the Lexmark Software and before you reboot, ... Go into Scanners and Cameras and make sure the Lexmark Scanner is ... Disabled or set the Windows Firewall to Open, ...
  • Re: WinXP Firewall always turned off on startup!
    ... As I mentioned, the options of firewall are not greyed out, i simply need to ... I tried your suggestion below (rundll32) ... adware/malware/virus scanners ... a brief error message on bootup (the same popup about ...
  • Re: winxp_firewall
    ... Rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 ... habe ich ihn wieder bekommen die Firewall ... echt tollen Dank ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.sonstiges)
  • Re: Exchange 2003: users getting 10-12 copies of each inbound message
    ... Since I posted this topic I have rebooted our firewall. ... The senders were also complaining about receiving repeated ... NDRs for each message they are sending to my companies users. ... I had them reboot the server after hours... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Modern antivirus for NT3.51?
    ... | machine's antivirus or firewall tell me ... DOS scanners are limited to 8.3 naming conventions and will be limited on the folder depth. ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)