Re: ntldr missing...

If there is a password you must use hacking software from diskette and break it and then use recovery console or you can do complete reinstall of OS cause the system is broken anyway.

nass wrote:

"Gilumar" wrote:

Hi;

I am using 'XP Professional' and I am finding it difficult to fix the 'ntldr missing' problem. The pc stops booting as it is not finding the 'ntldr'. I know that by booting from the 'xp' disk I can fix the problem but in order to fix the problem with the 'xp' disk I need the 'Administrator Password', which I do not know.

I would like to know if there is a way of recovering or changing the administrator password from the command prompt. (as my friend gave a disk that can take me directly to the command prompt without any problems.)

Thanks Very Much for your help,
Ludwig

System Restore may bring things back to life, if not try these Q & A on this
link:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=NTLDR&cboDiscussionGroup=en_US_91a15a1e-b269-4291-b6b4-dc2d504ce9ef%3Amicrosoft.public.windowsxp.general%3Aen%3AUS%3A%3A%3A%3A&=Go&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en_US_91a15a1e-b269-4291-b6b4-dc2d504ce9ef&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397
Boot up with your CD in the CD Rom and when you presented with Windows Setup
1- Install Windows
2- Repair existing copy
3- Quit
Select 2 by Pressing R on your keyboard, on the Command Prompt type:
C:\Windows>CD.. Hit [Enter..] on your Keyboard
on the new Prompt type this:
C:\>
copy X:\i386\ntldr c:\ where X is the Drive Letter for your CD-Rom
copy X:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ " " "
Please type one at a time click/Hit [Enter..]
You may need to rebuild your Boot.ini type this on the Prompt:
C:\>Boot.ini click Enter and you will see your Boot.ini you can Edit it or
if was intact leave as is, the boot.ini will look like this, be aware this
for XP Home so if you have XP pro:
[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect
You will get Boot Indentifier: Enter this " Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
Boot Loader: Enter this" /fastdetect"
When you finished type: reboot (I'm not sure if it is right you can Type ?
to get the list of commands and see if reboot is one) or Exit.
HTH.
Please let us know.
Regards,
nass
-----
www.nasstec.co.uk

  • Re: Unmountable Boot Volume AND Session3 Initialization Failed
    ... I choose 'Start Windows Normally' and the Windows Logo Boot screen appears and simulate loading the OS as it always has before my system crashed. ... When I boot to that slipstreamed Windows XP Install CD, I do not receive any prompts from PGP nor do I have to login. ... So, effectively, you are in a catch 22 situation, you cannot remove encryption unless you boot with the hard disk yet you need to boot to the CD to run the Recovery Console but the RC cannot do anything on the encrypted disk. ...
  • Re: Loaded SP2 now Im in a boot loop...Things to try.
    ... When it rebooted and I had a choice of safe and all other types of boot ... > Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: NTOSKRNL.EXE missing or corrupt
    ... Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: ... XP installation CD or a bootable CD with the XP Recovery Console on ... If any of those events have occurred, you should boot into the Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: illegal system dll relocation
    ... purchase a boot disk from hp--i assume that would have the current versions ... before i attempt the repair install, ... range reserved for windows systems DLLs The vendor should %%" I dont know ... recovery console and I guess reinstalling kernel32.dll. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: lost cluster at io.sys file stopping boot
    ... I presume having System Commander will vitiate a lot of what ... drive which is the Windows 98 one so that the BIOS only sees that Windows ... > boot sector. ... > To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000 ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)