Re: WinXP Firewall always turned off on startup!

On 7/2/2007 1:10 PM, MikeyP after much thought,came up with this jewel:
Hello! I recently reformatted my pc and reinstalled WinXP home.
When I restart the computer, a pop up displays that my computer is currently at risk, and there are no firewalls turned on.
If I click on that icon, I can turn the firewall ON (it is not greyed out)

I'm trying to figure out how to get this to stay ON, and not have to enable it after each reboot.
I have no other firewall softwares installed, and to my knowledge, I have no viruses/malware/adware and have scanned in safe mode with multiple adware/malware/virus scanners

Is there a way to "reinstall" the firewall?
I have searched thru the newsgroup, I have tried the NETSH FIREWALL RESET, to no avail.
I have scanned thru the registry and removed mention of windowsfirewall.
Upon reboot, same thing.

I also tried creating a .REG file [hkey_local_machine/software/policies/microsoft/windowsfirewall/standardprofile]
"enablefirewall"=dword:0000001

(not exactly as shown above, I copied it from a msg posted by a MVP) What this did was , a brief error message on bootup (the same popup about the firewall), but it quickly dissapeared. When i went to check the status of the firewall in control panel, it was greyed out and a note about group policies preventing me from making changes. Now, it was greyed out on "ON" - does this mean that it is indeed turned on, or that its not functional?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Install a better firewall.
Sygate Personal Firewall is one(free version)
http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160
You would be better off buying a router with a built-in firewall.
max
--
My Pages:
Virus Removal Instructions:

  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... > tested on port 445. ... > I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... Secedit.exe is the name of a legitimate Windows file, ... investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with the latest updates ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... >> tested on port 445. ... >> I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... >investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with ... >windows and everything else. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... > server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... open ports; however, this will not identify which program is using the port. ...
  • Re: password protection
    ... and cable] and should really consider Windows 2000 / XP. ... sure you're also running antivirus and firewall, ... Internet] to bypass this security. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)