Re: Does Windows Firewall Actualy Do Anything?

In article <bofe83ldpekatfkm5gu4ngr95th6s75kq6@xxxxxxx>,
b__nice@xxxxxxxxxxx says...
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 08:56:27 -0400, Leythos <void@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <e72c83l13a494mf1dpo4fjf11c14a3l0kn@xxxxxxx>,
b__nice@xxxxxxxxxxx says...
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:57:51 -0400, Leythos <void@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The windows firewall does very little to protect you unless you know how
to control it and monitor it daily.

Only true of one is stupid enough to run with full priviliges.

I would suggest that 90% of the people using XP don't have a clue about
the WF, that they don't even know it permits exceptions, that they don't
know that programs can create exceptions without them knowing, and that
at least 90% are running as a local admin because MS and the vendors
that write programs don't understand security.

And that is the problem that needs to be changed.

And it's not going to be changed, even in Vista it's not changed, and
the only thing we can do is tell people. So, we're back to monitoring
and checking the exceptions rules just like I said.

Most applications, when you run as a default user, can punch holes in it
and allow external connections without you even being aware that they
entered an "Exception" in the WF.

Which is true for any appliation run as a default user.

Some applications that are soft firewalls at least require or try and
require a check with the user

Yes. And by promoting these you promote status quo.

I don't and didn't promote using a third-party firewall, my first
statement was clear and didn't do what you suggest.

I personally suggest a NAT Router at the least and a Firewall appliance
as the best choice - one that filters SMTP and HTTP sessions for content
types (removes them).

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  • Re: Windows Firewall enough??
    ... Like I mentioned in another group, unless you monitor the "Exceptions" ... The Flaw in Windows XP Firewall is that APPLICATIONS can add exceptions ... internet than does the Windows Firewall alone. ... Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a ...
  • Re: Win XP Pro Fax Doesnt Track Anything
    ... In november 2003 I installed the Norton Firewall 2004 and Norton Antivirus ... Monitor does not appear when you receive a fax call. ... If you see a NIS alert message for a file that is in the Microsoft Fax ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • RE: help to reenable program that I accidentally blocked
    ... Enable programs by using Windows Firewall ... If you do not click Unblock the program in the Security Alert dialog box, ... On the Exceptions tab, make sure that the check box next to your program ...
  • Re: ActiveSync 4.1 Treo 700
    ... there *are* four AS applications listed in the exceptions list and Allow ... Exceptions is enabled for the firewall (or I guess that Don't Allow ... This will open a Windows ... > No. I'm not running any network software. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: Strange XP Firewall issue with GPO
    ... If so, in Control Panel, Windows Firewall, the "Don't allow exceptions" with have a check mark and it will be "greyed out" even for administrators. ... If you want to prevent local administrators from adding exceptions, set these settings to Disabled in the GPO: ... 135 TCP IPv4 ...