Re: Error 1084: The service cannot be started in safe mode

Boot to Safe Mode and then check in Device Manager for any problematic entries.
Ensure that Hidden Devices is enabled from View, Show hidden devices.
It *may* be a driver issue if the system is allowed to download and install updates automatically.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

DivTech wrote:

Hi,

I have a Windows XP Home (Dell Dimension 8400) machine that will not allow dial-up networking to be configured (it is greyed out). I have followed the knowledge base articles on it with no success.

Upon further investigation it appears the I cannot start certain services, giving the 1084 error shown above. So the telephony services are not running hence probably why I cannot setup dial-up.

Now, the machine is NOT in safe mode, (ie it doesn't have the "Safe Mode" lettering around the edges of the screen nor does it warn it is entering "Safe Mode". But it certainly is behaving like it is in safe mode. I can select real "Safe Mode" from the F8 menu (and also the "with Networking" option) and it starts up in a "normal" safe mode with the lettering and warnings.

This problem was resolved about 3 weeks ago by a total reload from scratch and the dialup was working. I'm hoping someone has got some ideas on how to fix this without reloading every few weeks.

I have also checked RAM, HDD and done Virus/Spyware scan, all clean. Removed and added modem drivers. Reloaded SP2. Banged my head against a brick wall. All to no avail.

  • Re: Damn you, FEDEX! or Nikon D40 lost in Springfield, MO blackhole.
    ... the 2 mp Mavica he had been using with a Nikon D40. ... After shopping around, he got me to order one for him. ... The shipper had it insured, but from what I have read it could take weeks to sort this crap out. ... You may get your insurance from FedEx and a couple weeks later they find it and deliver it. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: computer will not boot
    ... Start your computer in Safe Mode by holding down the F8 key during boot up ... and after POST and selecting Safe Mode from the menu that appears. ... > reload this file....how do I reload it, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • HELP! EXPLORER WILL NOT OPEN.
    ... when the computer was in safe mode. ... tell it to "show hidden devices". ... something in general with all of the accounts that got ... I will post back if the data recovery report ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.applications)
  • RE: Norton Antivirus
    ... > I tired to delete and reload but it would not let me ... > trojan scanner and it is not working the same either. ... While in safe mode the Virus should not be active and Norton should work. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: computer will not boot
    ... I get same error message in safe mode ... >Start your computer in Safe Mode by holding down the F8 ... key during boot up ... >> reload this file....how do I reload it, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)