Re: Disable Run Command and UNC Path

Wesley Vogel wrote:
Only way appears to be to disable or do not configure the Remove Run menu
from Start Menu setting.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\
Remove Run menu from Start Menu

From gpedit.msc Remove Run menu from Start Menu Explain...
[[Allows you to remove the Run command from the Start menu, Internet
Explorer, and Task Manager.

If you enable this setting, the following changes occur:
(1) The Run command is removed from the Start menu.
(2) The New Task (Run) command is removed from Task Manager.
(3) The user will be blocked from entering the following into the Internet
Explorer Address Bar:
--- A UNC path: \\<server>\<share>
---Accessing local drives: e.g., C:
--- Accessing local folders: e.g., \temp>

Also, users with extended keyboards will no longer be able to display the
Run dialog box by pressing the Application key (the key with the Windows
logo) + R.

If you disable or do not configure this setting, users will be able to
access the Run command in the Start menu and in Task Manager and use the
Internet Explorer Address Bar.

Note: This setting affects the specified interface only. It does not prevent
users from using other methods to run programs.

Note: It is a requirement for third-party applications with Windows 2000 or
later certification to adhere to this setting.]]

<quote>
Help/Explain Text: Allows you to remove the Run command from the Start menu,
Internet Explorer, and Task Manager. If you enable this setting, the
following changes occur: (1) The Run command is removed from the Start menu.
(2) The New Task (Run) command is removed from Task Manager. (3) The user
will be blocked from entering the following into the Internet Explorer
Address Bar: --- A UNC path: \\\ ---Accessing local drives: e.g., C: ---
Accessing local folders: e.g., \temp> Also, users with extended keyboards
will no longer be able to display the Run dialog box by pressing the
Application key (the key with the Windows logo) + R. If you disable or do
not configure this setting, users will be able to access the Run command in
the Start menu and in Task Manager and use the Internet Explorer Address
Bar. Note:This setting affects the specified interface only. It does not
prevent users from using other methods to run programs. Note: It is a
requirement for third-party applications with Windows 2000 or later
certification to adhere to this setting.
<quote>
from...
Remove Run menu from Start Menu
http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=346

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:54B53158-0A14-42C4-8496-DF3B935F7BEA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Valerie C <Valerie C@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
We disabled the run command in our GPO and now realizes that that disables
using UNC pathing in Windows Explorer. Is there any way around this?

  • Started NEW with Windows Server 2003
    ... Server on the first one and the rest two have Windows 2000 PRO. ... user won't be allowed to use anything except the Internet Explorer. ... However I've managed to disable task Manager and Command ...
  • Re: Disable Run Command and UNC Path
    ... The New Task command is removed from Task Manager. ... Run dialog box by pressing the Application key (the key with the Windows ... Allows you to remove the Run command from the Start menu, Internet Explorer, and Task Manager. ...
  • Re: Windows XP boots to background only, no start button, no icons
    ... Windows cannot acess the specified device, ... but I can access my task manager. ... use your system CD to do a repair installation. ... Command prompt does the same thing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Can I get Explorer.exe from Microsoft or this website.
    ... "nass" wrote: ... I have an older PC with Windows 98SE. ... some reason Internet Explorer froze-up and I had to reboot the computer. ... Open a Run command and type in: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Group policy -two
    ... Allows you to remove the Run command from the Start menu, ... The New Task command is removed from Task Manager. ... will be blocked from entering the following into the Internet Explorer ... i'm not able to post all group policy query in the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)