Re: winxp sp2 firewall

"kkjjcc" <kkjjcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

Start | Run | Type: firewall.cpl | Click OK |
On the General tab, click:
On (recommended). This is the setting that you should normally use.

Yes, I understand this.. no problem with turning 'on' or 'off' there

You can also select the Don't allow exceptions check box. When this check
box is selected, <snip>

I understand this feature as well and have one 'exception' specified.

The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service needs to
set to Automatic and it needs to be running.

I have checked this service and it is and already was set to automatic and
running at startup. <snip>

Value Name: EnableFirewall
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 is OFF and 1 is ON

Yes, I looked at the above entry. Turning my firewall on or off changes
value data for that entry. However, if I restart the computer with the
firewall set to ON, when I reboot the computer it is set to OFF again.
NOTE: I notice that when I open Windows Security Center, it shows 'ON'
firewall (at least one firewall installed is on...etc.) This could be
detecting zonealarm, so I will disable zonealarm on startup and see if it
warns me that firewall is OFF.. If I click 'Windows Firewall' under
security settings for', It again shows Firewall as 'OFF' (not recommended)

You cannot start the Windows Firewall service in Windows XP SP2

I read the article above and did the steps in the first example there to
'reset' the firewall. It did what was expected, but still, the firewall is
'OFF' by default whenever I start the computer.
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Thank You Wes, I appreciate your help. Although the problem is not
as yet.

MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E3682CAE-19C0-4DCA-8833-F338AD840195@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
kkjjcc <kkjjcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
I ran software that I think changed a registry entry. My xp sp2
is no longer 'ON' by default. I would like to fix this, but can't find
any info searching MS support, google etc. Any help appreciated

Are you running Norton Internet software? If so, that is known to affect
Security Centre, System Restores etc. Uninstall the Norton and see if that
sorts out the issue.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
    ... You are screwed only if you use Outlook. ... >> 1) You fail to apply necessary recommended security patches after ... >> 3) In the case of a firewall, ... >> attached as common Windows files) Make sure this Junk Mail is moved to ...
  • Re: Antivirus Programs
    ... Shenan-you wrote an excellent security book. ... >> May I install Norton AntiVirus and McAfee Security on my ... > Windows is not the only product you likely have on your PC. ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Microsoft Windows Network & Web Client Network - somebody connected to my computer?
    ... I use Windows XP. ... Doing the best I can at absorbing the necessary information about security. ... > UPDATES and PATCHES ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Messenger Service security breach
    ... > The attached graphic is an example of a Windows security ... > We've put off installation of a firewall appliance between ... > could plug the security holes on individual computers. ... downloading and installing MyNetWatchman or Dshield. ...
  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...