Re: winxp sp2 firewall

"kkjjcc" <kkjjcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:6FB4B554-5C47-46EB-935D-6A8E9D3A0D16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

Start | Run | Type: firewall.cpl | Click OK |
On the General tab, click:
On (recommended). This is the setting that you should normally use.

Yes, I understand this.. no problem with turning 'on' or 'off' there

You can also select the Don't allow exceptions check box. When this check
box is selected, <snip>

I understand this feature as well and have one 'exception' specified.

The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service needs to
be
set to Automatic and it needs to be running.

I have checked this service and it is and already was set to automatic and
running at startup. <snip>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile
Value Name: EnableFirewall
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 is OFF and 1 is ON

Yes, I looked at the above entry. Turning my firewall on or off changes
the
value data for that entry. However, if I restart the computer with the
firewall set to ON, when I reboot the computer it is set to OFF again.
NOTE: I notice that when I open Windows Security Center, it shows 'ON'
under
firewall (at least one firewall installed is on...etc.) This could be
detecting zonealarm, so I will disable zonealarm on startup and see if it
warns me that firewall is OFF.. If I click 'Windows Firewall' under
'manage
security settings for', It again shows Firewall as 'OFF' (not recommended)

You cannot start the Windows Firewall service in Windows XP SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920074

I read the article above and did the steps in the first example there to
'reset' the firewall. It did what was expected, but still, the firewall is
'OFF' by default whenever I start the computer.
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Thank You Wes, I appreciate your help. Although the problem is not
resolved
as yet.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E3682CAE-19C0-4DCA-8833-F338AD840195@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
kkjjcc <kkjjcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
I ran software that I think changed a registry entry. My xp sp2
firewall
is no longer 'ON' by default. I would like to fix this, but can't find
any info searching MS support, google etc. Any help appreciated

Are you running Norton Internet software? If so, that is known to affect
Security Centre, System Restores etc. Uninstall the Norton and see if that
sorts out the issue.

.