Re: Blue screen dilema!

andy wrote:
After installing some updates I have encountered the dreaded blue screen monster....

Message reads on boot up:

Stop:c0000135 (unable to locate companent)

This application has failed to start because ootmapi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Running on Dell inspiron 6000 Laptop

Windows XP

What updates? The ootmapi.dll belongs to O&O software. You might want to check with O&O tech support.

In the meantime, see if you can get into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer starts up. If you can get in, use the System Configuration Utility to prevent anything by O&O from starting with Windows:

Start>Run>msconfig [enter]

This brings up the System Configuration Utility. Look on the Startup tab and find the probable culprit. Uncheck the box next to its name, Apply and OK out. You don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get a dialog saying you've used the Utility. Just tick the box that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes. Instead, use Start>Run>services.msc [enter]

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: XP Partition and OS Questions
    ... "The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective ... every time Windows starts. ... copy of the Reinstallation Disk. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Error
    ... Something you have starting with Windows is failing. ... The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, ... If you think it is clean, ... Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Starting XP with a clean boot
    ... My friends are telling me it speeds up windows.. ... For information about how to contact Microsoft ... The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed. ... Step 2: Configure selective startup options ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Safe mode start
    ... Windows XP includes the System Configuration Utility. ... You then see the prompt to restart the computer. ... The computer restarts in Safe mode. ...
    (sci.med.transcription)
  • Re: Safe mode start
    ... Windows XP includes the System Configuration Utility. ... Perform the troubleshooting steps for which you are using Safe Mode. ... Close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would. ...
    (sci.med.transcription)