Re: Share Security+Log

AU <AU@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Agreed, problem is I need a reason why this was done, and if I can
provide more information on it.

Unless you can get someone to confess, it could be anyone who had admin
rights on that box.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

AU <AU@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

It seems one of my member's of staff pc had one of his personal
folders shared without his knowledge, it was shared over the network
with full persmissions. The OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.

After finding out it was being shared, I quickly turned off the
share but now the question remains how did it get shared in the
first place?

Is there any tool or log in Windows XP that I can view to see who
ACCESSED that paricular share or when it was turned, can anyone
please shed some light on the situation.

Thanks so much

Probably not. Any auditing you would enable now, wouldn't be
retroactive anyway.

Only an administrator can set up a share - best practice is to have
users run as users only, and make sure the local administrator
credentials are secured. Keep your computers locked down as tightly
as possible.

Also, if you are in a workgroup configuration, consider moving to a
domain model (or, at least, a central server for all your file
storage). Secure the server (both physically, and via permissions),
and don't store data on workstations at all.

  • Re: Share Security+Log
    ... The OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. ... and make sure the local administrator credentials are ... model (or, at least, a central server for all your file storage). ... Secure the ...
  • Re: Share Security+Log
    ... The OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. ... and make sure the local administrator ... domain model (or, at least, a central server for all your file ... Secure the server, ...
  • Re: Any Way to Run Windows 2000 From Read-Only CD?
    ... Your point regarding infecting the computer during runtime when the disk is ... Now, regarding UNIX versus Windows, I try to have a balanced view. ... administrator can isolate those and secure them. ...
  • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
    ... >>> secure than Home. ... Though this really has nothing to do with security. ... >>> I, on the other hand, was speaking about overall Windows security, not ... I do believe that Microsoft could adjust their prices for the ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: migrating from Win2K to XP?
    ... > secure since not too many users are out there and perhaps not too many ... magically install themselves on anyone's computer. ... reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, ... Multibooting with Windows 2000 and Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)