Re: Files inaccessable after reinstall

In 9i4Uh.516$Qa.203@trndny08">news:9i4Uh.516$Qa.203@trndny08,
rb608 <junkmail608@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To solve some nagging registry/performance issues, I took a
blunt
instrument approach and simply did a reinstall of XP. Mostly
everything turned out fine.

Prior to the reinstall, I had three "Users", one of whom, me,
was the
administrator with password protected access. After the
reinstall,
the two other user files were accessable, but my files under
the
password protected account are not. They're not gone, I just
can't
get them either through Windows Explorer or even through the
DOS
prompt. They clearly exist, but I get a "Access is denied"
error
when I click on anything associated with that prior admin
account.

I know the password; how can I re-establish access to my
files? (FWIW, when I reinstalled the OS, I chose a different
user name for
the administrator, so the files weren't overwritten.)

Help.

TIA,
Joe

You need to disable Simple File Sharing and take ownership of
the files. Take a look at these articles for more info:

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a
shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

Note: If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you
must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an
account that has Administrative rights to have access to the
Security tab. To start in Safe Mode, reboot your computer and
start tapping the F8 key as soon as you see anything displayed
on the screen. Keep hitting F8 until the Advanced Startup
Options menu appears. Use the up and down arrow keys on your
keyboard to select Safe Mode. Hit Enter.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

  • Cant boot, agp440
    ... Every time when I reinstall any program, my: ... booting Windows screen displayed “Windows” logo, ... No matter what safe mode option I choose, ...
  • Re: http://cashsearch.biz/redir.php - cant get rid of it!
    ... I booted to safe mode with network, ... Windows 2000. ... >> going to reformat and reload windows). ... > Then reformat and reinstall and copy your stuff back from the extra hd. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: IE6 - MSHTML.DLL browser keeps crashing!
    ... Ran Safe mode, ran CWSHREDDER, Kill2Me, ... I am not optimistic and believe i will have to reinstall the OS and all ... it is the recent windows updates that bring out this ...
  • Re: reinstalled XP. Now have 2 netbios(?) names that dont communicat
    ... Safe mode e gave me a scrolling list of c:\ commands any ... I used the recovery disk and selected repair windows, ... I had to reinstall all drivers. ... Break out the installation media and serial numbers for them and install ...
  • Re: Disconnect and PC freezes
    ... I reinstalled Windows from scratch and all the WOW errors disappeared. ... and removed all the drivers, I cannot help but feel some drivers were left ... "log out" was that the new sound capabilities in this version of WoW is ... I would attempt to reinstall every piece of graphics, video, sound software. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)