Re: Please Help Me..uninstall pcillin

Ria <Ria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

Ria <Ria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a used dell that was used two months by another person.
I want to uninstall Trend micro Pcillin and I cant because I do not
have the password they are asking for. I do not know who owned it
I bought the PC on ebay and they bought it from someone else. How
can I get past that password to uninstall it. It is interferring
with my other programs. I wrote to trend micro 3 times with no
reply. thanks for any help you can give me..Ria

Since you have a used computer, the *first* thing you should do is
flatten & reinstall it from scratch. You never know what might be
lurking on there. I wouldn't dream of using it as is.

Then when you're done, install the antivirus software you wish to
use.

Thank you so very much for your quick response. So if I do as
you say will I lose anything of mine? like in C drive...or software
programs? and also...by doing what you say will it actually remove
virus programs too? because I bought one online and do not have
a Disk for it....thanks for all your help..it is so appreciated..Ria

You will need to back up all your data, and reinstall your software. You
ought to pick up a USB hard drive and do regular backups of your data
anyway, so that's kind of a 'no-brainer'. You might consider something like
Acronis (True Image 9.1 Home) for this purpose...it makes it really easy to
recover your system as well as your data, if (when) something goes wrong).
But you don't have to - you can just copy the data folders to the disk,
even.

Did you get a license for XP with this computer....is there an XP sticker on
the side of the computer? If so, you can use XP on it. Dell may get you a
replacement CD if you call them. IT shouldn't cost much. And you definitely
want to have a CD for your operating system, no matter what.
If you don't have a license to run the version of Windows installed on the
computer, you will need to buy it.

If you don't have licenses for the other software on the workstation, you
can't legally use it anyway, and you would need to buy it. If the computer
came with Office pre-installed, the buyer would have received a CD and the
case would have the license on it. Without that, you can't use Office.

Unfortunately, there's really nothing else I can advise - I would never
dream of using a "pre-owned" computer without completely reinstalling
everything from scratch. When you buy a used computer, you need to make sure
you find out about the software/OS licenses first, unless you already have
your own legal copies and plan to use them.

  • Re: Please Help Me..uninstall pcillin
    ... I want to uninstall Trend micro Pcillin and I cant because I do not ... You will need to back up all your data, and reinstall your software. ... Did you get a license for XP with this computer....is there an XP sticker on ...
  • Re: Planning on buying Vista?
    ... that's what the license seems to say. ... Reinstall it once. ... You can reinstall it on the same computer hardware as many times as ... I'm not happy about the massive resources that Vista requires either. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: "Genuine -Validation " issue
    ... It'd probably be best to reinstall Windows using the Dell CD, Bobb. ... This is the first time I'd ever seen a license issue - is this "normal" ... another license thread - just an observation:) I could see how MSFT would ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Re-installing Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 200
    ... Susan Ramlet ... when I reinstall the Microsoft Office and activate ... >> One computer = one license. ... If I reinstall the software ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: about this activation key...
    ... reinstall and activate the same WinXP license on the same PC. ... Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation ... Assuming a retail license, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)