Re: I am the Administrator

I use XP Pro.
Anyway, I'm really in a jam now.
I accidentally disabled my one and only Administrator account.
And I logged on with a non-Administrator account.

Now, I can't Enable the Administrtor account because only an
Adminisrator can make those changes.

How do I enable my Administrator account,
without having to BE in the Administrator account?
Sheeeesh!

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

teresita <teresita@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I want to change the way that I log on to windows.
Presently, when I turn on my computer, I get a dialog box where I
have to type in my Administrator password.

I think you mean, your user account password....

I don't want to have to do
this every time I log into windows. So I went to User Accounts to
make the change, but Windows doesn't recognize me as the
Administrator.

What exactly are you trying? If you don't want to enter a password when you
start up, but always want it to go straight in as your own login account, I
think all you need to do is go back to User Accounts and change the way
users log in (to use the Welcome Screen & Fast User Switching), and then get
rid of your password.

My user account is under my name, not Administrator,
however, I am definately the administrator.

You may be *an* administrator, but you aren't *the* Administrator (built-in
account) if I understand your post correctly -

So I try to change the
name of my user account to Administrtator, but I get a message
telling me that there is another account with that name.

And there is....

But there is
not! if there is, I don't see it anywhere!!

If you're using WinXP Home, you can't see/log in as the built-in
Administrator account unless you've booted into Safe Mode. [If you're using
XP Pro, you can log in as the Administrator if you press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice
at the welcome screen.] But I don't think you need to do that at all - just
remove your password as per the above.

If you aren't currently

All I want is to go straight to windows when I turn on my computer,
and to fix this Administrator confusion. I have scanned my system
for viruses and trojen horses and adware and it is clean.
Any help will be appreciated.

I don't use XP Home, so I may be off base, so corrections are welcome.

thanks

  • Re: XP account passwords change spontaniously
    ... Security Policy of the XP Pro computer. ... Also I would be sure to change the administrator passwords on all ... the administrator account in XP Pro which will only allow it to be logged ... > SAM file. ...
  • Re: Lost Administrator Privileges
    ... works fine now and I realized that you can't add another user account without ... making it an administrator and thereby losing your actual Administrator off ... the kids have a full privilege user account. ... I logged in in Safe mode but still can't change the ...
  • Re: XP account passwords change spontaniously
    ... You could hard reboot the computer using the reboot button on the front of ... You can also use rsop.msc on the XP Pro computer to ... Also I would be sure to change the administrator passwords on ... >> the administrator account in XP Pro which will only allow it to be logged ...
  • Re: Cannot log in to XP
    ... Can I assume you're talking about the password for your user account? ... should find programs that will reset the Administrator password, ... I was given an older Dell laptop with XP pro on it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... policy to rename the account although it is not really necessary or useful. ... Did I check Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop. ...